Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Humminbird 797C2 SI NVB ????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Humminbird 797C2 SI NVB ????

I may have too many questions, hope ya'll don't get tired of them. Does any one have one of these. Is the side scan worth the money?? Any information will help. I can not make up my mind on which fish finder I want. It will replace my bow mount finder and I'm going to mount the transducer to my trolling motor.
    This side scan looks like a real picture of the bottom, structure and fish. But is it as good as the pictures show? I have not seen one in person.
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

Post Thanks / Like

The side scans will work on the trolling motor but are better designed mounted to the transom. The reason behind this is you need to be moving for the si to work the best. But any turning of the head on the trolling motor will distort the picture. This is why they recommend on the transom. I have one but not put in the water yet, to cold and icy. For the best information check on the yahoo group sideimaging. Are the worth the money to me yes, they will allow you to learn alot more about the lake than any other type of depth finder.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

i am thinking of getting one. i would like to know the difference the $2000-$1000 units whats different besides the screen size

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman_Wantabe
    I may have too many questions, hope ya'll don't get tired of them. Does any one have one of these. Is the side scan worth the money?? Any information will help. I can not make up my mind on which fish finder I want. It will replace my bow mount finder and I'm going to mount the transducer to my trolling motor.
    This side scan looks like a real picture of the bottom, structure and fish. But is it as good as the pictures show? I have not seen one in person.
    Actually you would, in my humble opinion, be far better served putting that unit on the console w/transom mount transducer for use while scouting a body of water for structure ect. and mounting your current unit on the bow.

I have a 787C2 with a quadrabeam transducer on the transom and a second station up front w a dualbeam transducer mounted on the trolling motor. This arrangement works VERY well for me.
    "My worst day fishin was better than my best day workin!"

Post Thanks / Like

OH! BTW! DO get the NVB model as these unit only have one sd card slot and unless you have the NVB you have to remove your hotmaps card and replace it with another SD card if you want to capture a screenshot. This is a ROYAL pain in the rear!

As far as the quality of the images they are indeed as good as the pictures show but you STILL must know what you are looking at and how to intrepret that information for it to be of much use to you.

Sonar is sonar and you simply must invest the time and effort to learn how to use whatever you wind up buying.

Having said that, I personally doubt that you can buy an overall better unit for the money than the one you have mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duckcaller
    i am thinking of getting one. i would like to know the difference the $2000-$1000 units whats different besides the screen size
    Three things govern cost in sonar equipment. Power, screen resolution and size, and type of display (color or grayscale ect.)

My advice is to buy the very best you can afford and LEARN how to use it.

I have come to know that there are a great many folks with very high quality electronics on their boats and no idea as to how to use it who routinely get outfished by folks with far lesser sonar units but who understand what they are looking at when they look at them!