Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Battery Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Battery Question

I bought an Interstate battery yesterday from an Interstate distributor in Angier. I would call them to ask this question, but am not confident in their ability to answer a simple question. After hooking up my wiring, I popped the caps to see if they needed topping off and found all the cells completely dry. I have never received a completely dry battery. I filled with distilled water and put on charge. Then I started wondering, "is the first fill done with acid?"????!!!! Did I just kill or stunt my new battery? Anybody got any ideas?

(I have bought them from the distributor in Garner and they weren't dry)

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Its supposed to be filled with acid and then a little water on top.....this is so thru evaporation you will lose water and not acid if you keep checked regularly. Sounds like your battery was not filled. I would take it back. It will not charge with out the acid and it has to have the right amount of acid in it to hold a charge and have the right amp hr. capacity.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk 2
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

First I'd have taken it back to them, sounds like it missed an assembly step.
    You can test the battery if you have a volt/ohm meter. insert one electrode in one cell and the other in the cell next to it, you should get 1 1/2 volts between each set of cells. don't touch the lead in the cells just the water/acid.
    The smell test should tell you if there is acid in the cell.
    If there is no acid then you won't have a charge after having the charger on it for a few hours.
    Take it back and have them check with a hydrometer

Post Thanks / Like

When I first checked the level, I thought it was just low, so I started filling. Pretty standard stuff, But, after a couple of quarts it became evident.

Post Thanks / Like

Update - It seems the battery has fully charged. When I pulled the caps I think I detected the faint smell of acid. But, it wasn't long lasting. I used one of those no spill fillers that holds two quarts, so, I know I used almost that much to "top up". I measured 1.5v between cells as Grady suggested, so the cells are alive. Seems like a lot of water to add, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, folks. I should have done this to begin with. Called them and they said it wasn't right, to bring back for a replacement. I just love lugging 80 pound batterys around!
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

It kills me to get 2 new trolling batteries at 80lbs each. Not to mention the cost
    Glad to hear they stepped up and are going to replace the battery.
    I think 2 quarts is too much water on that new a battery

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

And as a side note : (just a FYI reminder)

Always remember to charge the battery FIRST, THEN add distilled water to "top it off". BUT, don't charge the battery IF the fluid level DOES NOT COVER the lead plates ... add just enough distilled water to cover the plates, THEN charge the battery and top it off (if necessary). DO NOT fill battery up to where the fluid is in the cell fill tubes, as charging will cause the fluid to expand ... and it may overflow out of the fill tubes.

ALWAYS use distilled water, NOT tap water ... as tap water has chemicals in it that may degrade the battery's performance & charging capacity.
    Likes dbeam, Crewmax42 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

One new battery (which needed to be topped up) and one stern lecture about proper cell filling (I topped about 1/8" over the bottom of the sleeve) later, I have my new battery installed. I will take my business back to the Interstate distributor in Garner next go round. I never had a problem with them - great customer service, and I have a nagging desire to back to the ramp with no battery problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Gel cell battres work better for boats never have to add water and the jaring of the boat can not damage them. They hold up better and they can be used for starting or trolling . I always buy reconditioned batteries. Have one used for trolling that I have had for 3years and it has never died on me and only paid $50 for it.