Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Don't have diagram for reel parts before attempting a fix? - photograph them

Post Thanks / Like

Default Don't have diagram for reel parts before attempting a fix? - photograph them

Other than removing and sharpening the blades on my lawn tractor, I've found that the less parts needed to fix anything is a lot easier to fix than a unit that has over 15 parts. Fishing reels can be daunting especially when they don't come with a parts diagram.

Some of the cheaper Gander Mountain spinning reels don't come with a parts diagram. When I called the company, I was told none is available, but if I wanted my reel fixed under the one year warranty I would have to pay shipping. Nonsense! So I took it apart to see why the handle was not smooth turning.

Oh Boy! Without a diagram with detailed pictures, I had no idea how to put it back together or which screws went where. Good thing I had a duplicate reel and decided to take it apart - photographing each lure part(s) involved of the reel that did work step by step.

After an hour or so, I found the problem in one of the gears and referred to the photos on my camera to assemble both reels. Worked like a charm! Here are some of the shots that made life easier and kept my reliance on a poor memory and my frustration at a minimum:

Name:  IMG_2860.JPG
Views: 1890
Size:  31.9 KBName:  IMG_2868.jpg
Views: 1528
Size:  38.0 KBName:  IMG_2876.jpg
Views: 1362
Size:  28.2 KB

The pictures show me where different parts go (went) before I disassembled the reel and the order to be reassembled. Even certain screws should be put in the proper holes and single parts, like the anti-reverse brass spring that popped out on the floor, (pointed to by the Phillips screw driver), put back correctly. Reel works like charm!

The more parts, the greater the necessity for pictures even when a diagram is included that may be vague as far a which part goes where. In fact, a diagram to another more expensive Gander Mountain reel I own was all wrong, giving wrong names to the wrong parts! Drawings just don't cut it at times!
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 10-05-2016 at 08:52 PM.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Great idea
    Last edited by "G"; 10-05-2016 at 08:27 PM.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Zebco, on the other hand, unlike the by-phone, useless customer service at Gander, was fantastic! The woman sent me a diagram via email and knew her stuff when it came to resolving the symptom of a rough retrieve. (A few bearings popped out when I dropped the reel and should have stayed in place.) I told her the reel was under warranty and even without me faxing proof of purchase, she sent me a bearing part she predicted I would eventually need if the bearing popped out again. What service! Minn Kota is no different!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have found the website below to be valuable in finding reel schematics. There prices are not terrible but I normally will wait till I need a couple of parts to combine shipping. I once paid 61 cents for a bail spring and over $6 to ship it.

Nutter Rod and Reel
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!

Post Thanks / Like

I have always laid out a clean cloth or paper towel and laid everything from left to right in order it comes off. Keep screws with their respective assemblies. To reassemble reverse from right to left.
    Likes Spoonminnow LIKED above post

RCC is offline Crappie.com Legend and Arkansas Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

When I do any kind of work, I like a few things.

1. Lights
    2. Camera
    3. zip-loc bags.

OrangeAgent's tip is a good one.

Good job getting your reel fixed up.
    RCC's Crappie Eradication Service
    Eliminating your slab problems one fish at a time
    For free estimates give us a call at O U 812.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    I have found the website below to be valuable in finding reel schematics. There prices are not terrible but I normally will wait till I need a couple of parts to combine shipping. I once paid 61 cents for a bail spring and over $6 to ship it.

Nutter Rod and Reel
    They don't carry parts for Gander Mountain reels and not a source unless I knew who made them for G.M. Parts diagragms can be confusing and are never in a photo format, so I'm stuck taking pictures and keeping everything separate. BTW great idea keeping parts separate in a zip lock bag!

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another great site for Reel and other fishing related schematics = click on what your reel is then view details then they pop up or click view more and then it will show it and you can download them

Mikes Reel Repair
    Likes Spoonminnow LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree - Mike's is one of my best sites for diagrams of brand name reels.

Post Thanks / Like

The fishing dept. manager at Gander told me their reels were made by Pflueger. The bodies do look like the Pfluegers as do the Cabela reels.