Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do when catching fish (once found) is just to dang easy!

Post Thanks / Like

Default What to do when catching fish (once found) is just to dang easy!

Fish, regardless of species, that are easily provoked into striking, seem to suggest a few general rules that may get bigger fish to hit. Today was the third week that 11" crappies were located in a certain cove with rocks and weed islands. Other species were also present and the strikes of all were easily detected up the line allowing for firm hook sets. But one thing I've found when catching is this easy, is to use larger soft plastics, heavier jig heads and bright white or other florescent colored grubs.

As the water temperature drops, it seems fish are more excited about the lures that enter their domain and get really irritated when something bright and large shimmies before their eyes. My partner and I used just that and boated over 30 crappie in just one area alone before moving the boat 40' and repeating the catch rate of two fish per minute.

Smaller lures would have worked no doubt, but the faster speed of a 1/8 oz jig vs a 1/32oz and the longer and brighter soft plastic, seemed to make catching much easier by raising aggression levels to the max.

Post Thanks / Like

Good info for us newbies

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

If you get them biting like that , get'em in the freezer , they will stop as soon as I arrive !
    I thought fish trembled when they heard my name.......then I heard the laughter

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoonminnow.......If you had posted pictures of the fish I could have made this a Home Page Article....Just saying
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes theygotaeat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

G, my partner only kept four for his Philippino wife who loves them; as for me, my wife won't let me cook them in the house!

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonminnow View Post
    G, my partner only kept four for his Philippino wife who loves them; as for me, my wife won't let me cook them in the house!
    You could have taken some pics before you released them or some of them.....You write some good stuff but we have to have pics to make it a article. I cook most of mine outside.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Brenda cooks the fish here and she cooks them inside. Sometimes I grill them outside, but I hate the mess clean up.

Pictures speak for themselves in most cases.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I love to cook mine outside too, but the smell draws neighbors like flies. Have to cook inside.........
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Likes Cane Pole LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "G" View Post
    Spoonminnow.......If you had posted pictures of the fish I could have made this a Home Page Article....Just saying
    Tell me exactly what you want in the photos and how many and I'll post as many as you want. I have hundreds of shots of fish and the lures they were caught on this year and last. No shots of my face - wouldn't want that unpleasant distraction LOL! (though I could include it with a tripod and timer placed on the boat seat.) Many of these have lake names and dates taken. When I catch a number of 11-12" crappie in a school, I don't take too many shots of them -what would be the point as long as I record photographically how lure designs they slammed?

Post Thanks / Like

I to cook them outside. Most grills you get today have a side burner on them. Most people don't even use them but you can heat up some grease on them easy. Also a small deep fryer works well. I have a folding table I will set up on the deck, break out my deep fryer and cook outside. Easy to clean up also.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast