Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panfish are not line shy nor are any other species

Post Thanks / Like

Default Panfish are not line shy nor are any other species

Today I confirmed once and for all that fish are not line shy as has been suggested over the years by those that insist using the smallest diameter line possible. Granted, a smaller diameter line is best for smaller lures in that it allows for the best lure action versus lines that mute lure action. I wouldn't use 20# test mono with a 1/32 oz jig for example, but 8# is within the upper limit of line diameter that is okay given a soft plastic design rigged on that light a jig. But even that argument is a bit flawed considering what I discovered today.

Like many that lose lures to pickerel, I fish a lake that guarantees at least half dozen lures lost to razor sharp pickerel teeth. So I decided that enough is enough and attached a thin wire leader directly to different size jig heads - no clip. The wire comes in different diameters for attaching deep sea lures prone to being attacked by toothy critters. Today, not one pickerel made off with my lures - especially ones that were deeper hooked inside the gum line. What's more were the variety of fish and fish sizes that bit the lure all day long! Even small sunnies got caught, ignoring the 3" of firmly attached steel wire.

Normally I would use a 6lb test fluorocarbon leader with light jigs to allow a faster drop and better lure action using rod tip twitches, but when picks enter the equation, they give me no choice - better to boat those slime rockets than have nothing left on the end of the line, having to retie another lure.

This was one of many fish, including large crappie that didn't seem to mind the wire:

Name:  IMG_2852.JPG
Views: 2099
Size:  67.2 KB
    Likes Marvin, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree...EXCEPT when fishing Gin-Clear water....At my "Stained Home Lake" and other local fisheries, I have been using Hi Vis yellow braid for 2 years now, with no drop in production...actually I think I am catching more fish because I can see the line move now!
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I did an experiment by accident once. I had rigged half my poles with some braided line I had got free some years ago in some promotion. The other half of my poles were rigged with my normal fluorocarbon 8# test. the wife and I set up for a morning of drift fishing with slip corks and minnows. I immediately started catching fish and the day was looking good. After 5 or 6 fish on my poles with fluorocarbon, my wife asked why aren't I catching any. We checked depths made sure everything was the same. I told her not sure but I was trying out some new braided line which just happened to be on her poles. After catching a few more crappie and her absolutely nothing I switched position with her while I re rigged her poles. Needless to say we finished out the day with a nice mess of crappie. I disposed of the remainder of the braid and haven't used any since. Just saying, that's my experience.
    Likes RCC LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I learned a long time ago that there's now absolutes. Most lakes it doesn't matter. Some of the clear lakes it's a major thing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Likes Marvin LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

when i am tightlining thick lily pads, i use #12 hi-vis yellow. they seem to pop it without concern as to how thick the line is and I am not retying jigs all day.
    Retired golf addict
    Likes Marvin LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

You can't use any line (or wire ) in a gin-clear trout stream with educated brown trout. They'd laugh at you.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the hy-vis now also in the 8 & 10# ,depending on the cover..seems to work great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lowe175 View Post
    I learned a long time ago that there's now absolutes. Most lakes it doesn't matter. Some of the clear lakes it's a major thing.
    Agreed.

I was reading a article on swordfishing in a saltwater mag a few years ago. These guys were fishing at night, 200-300 feet deep, and they said they got significantly more strikes with flouro leaders than with mono.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use hi viz line for myself. I really don't care if the fish like it or not.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes "G", wannabe fisherman, excited4711 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use hi-viz yellow in 2 & 4 # and add a fluorocarbon leader if the water is clear. Admittedly I don't find water clear enough to bother unless I am fishing a few of the creeks I frequent.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast