Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question: How does one know how deep their cranks are running?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question: How does one know how deep their cranks are running?

Just trying to figure out how to get my baits to run at the depth I want.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

That was helpful. Googling now...

RCC is offline Crappie.com Legend and Arkansas Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Run in shallow water until you see them drag. Precision trolling app is good also.
    RCC's Crappie Eradication Service
    Eliminating your slab problems one fish at a time
    For free estimates give us a call at O U 812.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone with practical experience and willing to share is most welcome here

Post Thanks / Like

John Doe Slab has implemented a way to search for info on the Main Crappie Forum 9-18 2016. A way to find it right now is go to the 2nd page a see the header Testing a new Crappie.com search tool. Click on it highlight the (Here it is http) put your search in the box Crankbait charts and this will pull up post on this subject. Hope this helps you.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nuttin but net View Post
    John Doe Slab has implemented a way to search for info on the Main Crappie Forum 9-18 2016. A way to find it right now is go to the 2nd page a see the header Testing a new Crappie.com search tool. Click on it highlight the (Here it is http) put your search in the box Crankbait charts and this will pull up post on this subject. Hope this helps you.
    You don't have to do that, now .... just put your search words in the blank space above the words Advanced Search and hit Enter Key. THAT IS the new search feature !!

Here's one thread discussing pushing cranks / line angle / line length equations :http://www.crappie.com/crappie/missi...5=#post3274817

Some charts use the Pythagorean Theorem ... line at 45 deg angle means length of line out times 0.6 will give you the approx. depth of your weight/crank. But, if you're not using weight, you're not likely running the lines at a 45deg angle. Length of line above water (from tip to surface) isn't counted in length of line out.

FWIW -
    Around here we use 2oz weights + 300 Bandits @ 1.8mph with 55ft of line out at ~25deg angle, to get the crank down to around ~15ft. Main line is 30lb test braid (10lb test mono diameter equivalent) and crank is on a 5' leader of 6lb test mono.
    Likes Clint LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Crappiepappy, I figured there was a better way and now I thank you for teaching me something. I do know that this is 1 of the many things I like about crappie.com. The people here are always trying to help others in their quest for knowledge. I'm glad to be a part of such an organization.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    You don't have to do that, now .... just put your search words in the blank space above the words Advanced Search and hit Enter Key. THAT IS the new search feature !!

Here's one thread discussing pushing cranks / line angle / line length equations :http://www.crappie.com/crappie/missi...5=#post3274817

Some charts use the Pythagorean Theorem ... line at 45 deg angle means length of line out times 0.6 will give you the approx. depth of your weight/crank. But, if you're not using weight, you're not likely running the lines at a 45deg angle. Length of line above water (from tip to surface) isn't counted in length of line out.

FWIW -
    Around here we use 2oz weights + 300 Bandits @ 1.8mph with 55ft of line out at ~25deg angle, to get the crank down to around ~15ft. Main line is 30lb test braid (10lb test mono diameter equivalent) and crank is on a 5' leader of 6lb test mono.
    Appreciate it sir. Found a humminbird 5 series di/si portable setup for a very good price and plan on trying it out this weekend with cranks but I am clueless on how to get the cranks running at a preferred depth. This very helpful.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/missi...-cranks-101-a/

Take the time to read through this. You will find everything you need to know about pulling cranks.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast