Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Report; 9/28/16

Post Thanks / Like

Default Report; 9/28/16

We haven't been out for crappie in a bit and today's weather forecast looked "iffy" as well, but it's going to be a long winter and we have to take advantage of what opportunities we have. We got to the ramp around 8 am today, with the air temp at 54 degrees with a stiff breeze. Forecast was for a "few sprinkles" and the wind at 10 - 15 mph. Wind never really got into gear today; more like 5 - 10 mph at most.

Well, we had 3 good showers by the time we pulled off at noon. And the air temp then was still only 56 degrees! So it was a tad "chilly" (bone deep) to say the least. But as you will see from the photos, we were somewhat prepared for it. We drifted & cast with Sliders, Roadrunners (hand ties by "skiptomylu") and straight tails. The Roadrunners had the upper hand today - hands down! And the simple Gray Ghost pattern outperformed the more gaudy patterns. Most productive plastic patterns were black/chartreuse and pink/chartreuse.

Nothing outstanding today. We caught & released 20 fish; 19 crappie and 1 bluegill. We called it early because it was just too darn miserable out there and the fish were not very cooperative. But it was better than sitting in front of the TV, so it was more than worth the effort. Here's some of the larger crappie:

Name:  Rich_1.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  98.9 KB

Name:  Rich_2.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  87.8 KB

Name:  Rich_3.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  90.6 KB

All cookie cutters, but no giants. Walt started out with the hot rod which switched to me as the morning progressed. Good fishing.....great fishing buddy & friend......it's a good life (if I could just get rid of the darn arthritis!).
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes crappiebob LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

You're right, it will be a long winter; glad you got out. Even short trips count, you know.

Yes, I was talking to myself; sometimes even I have to ask for expert advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Crestline, hope you get another day or 2 before the season is out. As always, I sure enjoy your posts.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Nice
    And with that, I'll see you on the water...
    John
    Remember to take your kids fishn'