Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Got out for a while today

Post Thanks / Like

Default Got out for a while today

Very windy day here in CT but had made plans with my usual fishing partner to go back to the limited access pond this morning. He was goose hunting 1st thing so we were late launching, got on the water about 10:30. I was pre-occupied as I was dying to play around a bit more with this:

How does that saying go? It is better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission? Something like that. I've been reading that dang electronics board and talked myself in to upgrading. My wife, bless her heart, simply said, enjoy it, as that's your birthday/anniversary/Christmas present......(probably for the next 3 years!). Wonderful woman, my wife is..........

We sure got it covered with goop today. We sort of did a Crestliner day, trolled around for quite a bit, hitting yellow perch and bluegill on a regular basis. Partner was using a silver Phoebe, I had on a couple of BG baby shad in Monkey milk and something else that escapes me at the moment. The side scan was next to useless as the wind was pretty tough to keep an even speed or course but it was a big help anyway. When we chose to anchor, it would read pods of fish out to the side as we pivoted around or as they swam by. Many times I would tell him something like "40' out, left side, I see white blobs". Sure enough, he'd cast and have a fish on. We had a blast.
    Mostly bluegill, quite a few yellow perch and a few nice crappie, 12-13" or so. I never really located any big crappie schools today. We ended up with 4 1/4 pounds of cleaned fillets. Sorry, but was too busy on the water to snap any pictures today.

I've had the Helix about a week, made a couple of test trips out to tinker and get it set up. I'm very impressed with what it will pick up. For my style of fishing that 800 setting is awesome in the SI view.

It takes up a LOT of room in my little 12' rowboat, makes things really crowded when my partner is along. On my own, its not bad. I hope I can learn to use it to its full potential.
    Yes, I was talking to myself; sometimes even I have to ask for expert advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful looking unit!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."