Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: OKUMA line counter reels

Post Thanks / Like

Default OKUMA line counter reels

I have six of these and the other day one of them stopped level winding and very hard to reel in. Are they worth trying to send to a service center or just salvage the line and buy a new one??

Thanks
    Mildot

Post Thanks / Like

I consider them disposable.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536
    Likes crp4570, Cane Pole LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

check these out.... same quality and a bit cheaper.https://northwoodsoutlet.com/product...trolling-reel/
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I also consider them disposable but I will take one that fails and put it back to scavenge parts off of. I've gotten a couple of mine back into good working order by simple parts change. I recently had a level-wind issue on one and after 2 hours of pulling what hair I have left out, put it in the parts bin.

I have had line get behind the spool and break off when trying to get it out and that cause level-wind issues. Might be worth a check.

My Dad used to buy Murray lawn mowers from WalMart. His theory was he got a couple of years of good service out of them then just bought another one when they marked them down in the fall and junked the old one the minute it started giving him trouble.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

You didn't say "what" kind of Okuma you had. Was it a Magda, a Convector, or a Coldwater? If it is a Magda, I do what MrDux does and save them for parts. If however it is a Convector or a Coldwater, I would send them in for service. Keep in mind that many line counter reels (Okuma included) come with cheaper parts. When you purchase a new reel, you can take it in to a reputable repair guy and he can upgreade all the parts and that reel with be 1000 times better than it was out of the box. Tune Reel repairs out of Ludington Michigan is one I would recommend.

As for a quality replacement to the Okuma... Try the Diawa Accudepth reels. The drag is better, level wind is better, and the line counter reset button and coutner mechanism is better. I've used Okuma for several years and switched over to Accudepth for this tournament season. Since that time, I've switched out all the trolling reels in both of my boats. As Feelay mentioned, Northwoods (located in Pinconning Michigan) is the best place we have found to purchase these reels.

The accudepth size 17 takes 1000 ft of Berkley Big game 10lb Xt in order for the reel to be calibrated correctly for the line counter (yes, you need to calibrate a line counter reel). The Accudepth size 27 takes 1500 feet of the same line to accurately calibrate it. If you have questions on calibration, let me know. I wrote an article awhile back for a magazine and I'm sure I can dig it up for you.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes crp4570 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you got some sand or trash in the worm gear. Spray it off with a water hose. May not even have to take it apart.

Post Thanks / Like

Check the Drag. Sometimes it comes loose and wont reel.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA
    Likes Cane Pole LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I used a buddy of mine's and experienced something similar. Sometimes it seemed like the reel was "frozen up" and wouldn't release the line after pushing the release button. A simple pull back on the spool/line, with my thumb, fixed the problem. It only happened a few times during the day, so it wasn't a "major" factor to me. They were Magda 15's, spooled with 30 something pound test braid ... probably equivalent to 10lb mono diameter ... for calibration purposes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    I used a buddy of mine's and experienced something similar. Sometimes it seemed like the reel was "frozen up" and wouldn't release the line after pushing the release button. A simple pull back on the spool/line, with my thumb, fixed the problem. It only happened a few times during the day, so it wasn't a "major" factor to me. They were Magda 15's, spooled with 30 something pound test braid ... probably equivalent to 10lb mono diameter ... for calibration purposes.
    I have a 15 that does the exact same thing.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    This "freeze up" happens to me occasionally and I do the same pullback, same reel, 10# mono.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"