Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: jigs or minnows from the bank

Post Thanks / Like

Default jigs or minnows from the bank

what do you guys have most success with from the banks where you can only get about 20 yards out? iv never had luck on jigs as i have with live minnows

Post Thanks / Like

i use only jigs and do pretty well . I imagine your water is turbid though and that's when sense of smell and the ole lateral line come out to play . use lots of contrast and movement and a Berkley crappie nibble in those conditions and you will do well once you get the jig thing figured out .
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If you're interested in using jigs more you will have to have some good outings with them to gain confidence. The only way you will have any good outings is to put some effort into figuring out how to jig fish. Start simple...some plain lead heads 1/16 or 1/32 oz and some tube jigs of three or four of the best colors. Just spend some time fishing with them along with your minnows. Nothing wrong with minnow fishing,but why not broaden your horizons once in awhile.The right color tube jig tipped with a crappie nibble is gonna catch you some fish.You can expand and experiment from there with all manner and style of jig. Mind you lay out a few of those nibbles to dry until they get stiff enough to stay on good. Not to dry where they are hard,or so soft they just come off easy.....just right.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

For me, it mostly has depended on time of year, time of day, and depth of water I could reach with my cast. Also, I've always done better if I was fishing over a fallen tree that reached out into fairly deep water (like 20' deep at the top of the tree). If it happened to be in the shade during the time I was fishing ... all the better (except during Winter).

You "could" use a weighted float to gain more distance, but the depth you can put your jig is limited with "clip-on" floats. You could add a sinker above your jig, but that increases the rate of fall (limiting the amount of time your jig would be in the strike zone).

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use jigs and slip float. I do fairly well catching and enjoying crappie.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.