Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cracked hands

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cracked hands

I fight this every winter. Mainly the tips of my fingers split on the tips then the old dead skin peels away. I have used lotions of all kinds, several times a day, Vaseline, crack cream, aquaphor, you name it. I have even taken Vaseline and lathered my hands good and put cotten gloves on overnight. Nothing helps. At times the split is very painful.

So, what do you guys do during winter months?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey boss don't put vaseline on your hands. Vaseline is a petroleum product and even though initially it will feel good it will always dry out your hands. Look for a product that does'nt have petroleum in it. Vitamin E and aloe vera are good things to look for.

Post Thanks / Like

try and find you some corn huskers lotion, I work with alot of chemicals and my hands dry out till they crack and bleed. I started useing it and have no problems anymore. its been around forever

Post Thanks / Like

Try Bag Balm and something like Curel Ultra Healing in combo. Bag Balm is the stuff they use on cow bags. Works for me pretty good.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

hawkman is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieday
    try and find you some corn huskers lotion, I work with alot of chemicals and my hands dry out till they crack and bleed. I started useing it and have no problems anymore. its been around forever
    I second the Cornhuskers Lotion, good stuff. I find it at Wal-Mart or most drug stores. Not greasy & no strong scent. Something else I use is Badger Healing Balm, it comes in a round green & white tin with a badger on the top. I find it at Advance Auto, I guess mechanics use it a lot too.
    Crappie fishing is my lighthouse of sanity in an insane world,
    It keeps me from crashing on the rocky shores of everyday life.
    Crappie.com is my beacon of light!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with crappieday on this one, corn huskers lotion works! It's on my shelf right next to the DMSO, it works for old stiff fingers in the winter.
    Gerald

Post Thanks / Like

I have trouble with my fingers cracking this time of year,nothing seemed to help.A friend gave me some veterinary cream, Horseman's Dream, from Tractor Supply,this really works.

Post Thanks / Like

My mom has the same problem. Every winter the tips of her fingers get dry and develop painful cracks. She puts medical bandage tape on them to protect them, and hold the crack together. Its helps make them heal faster.

Try to avoid soaking your hands in water and washing your hands as much as possible, and protect your hand if you take long hot showers. The cause could also be that the air is too dry in your house. If so, find some way to moisturize your air. There are lots of types of humidifiers, but you need one that puts several gallons of water in the air per day to have any positive effect.

Try the new Advanced Healing BAND-AID that is in a silver box. Its actually designed for healing blisters, but works real well on dry fingertips. They are 100% water proof and wrap your finger tips in a rubber-like material and last for about three days. Use scissors to cut large size in half, then use nail clippers to trim the square edges after you apply new bandages.

You can also hold the crack together and use gel superglue on them like NEW SKIN. I've read that there is nothing in superglue that will hurt you if used in that way, and its something that guitarists and harpists use.

One more thing. I have a friend who is a diabetic and has to test his blood sugar all the time by piercing his fingertips. He swears by this stuff when his fingertips start getting tough and cracked. ZIM'S CRACK CREAM. If you call around to pharmacies I'm sure they will have it. http://www.crackcreme.com/products/skincare/index.html
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 02-16-2007 at 07:55 PM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

i agree with doz guys up there - corn huskers works wonders on my cracked hands and elbows !
    I don't go Fishing...I go CATCHING!

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w36/Badi2de/

Post Thanks / Like

I would go to the livestock feed store and get some bag balm like they said....I wouldn't use cotton gloves...I use elk skin gloves to drive with....Leather is much better for your skin than cotton.....I think that's the only shot you have....Soaking your hands in epsom salts would probably help....DemoMan

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast