Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ugly Stick Rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ugly Stick Rods

Bought a new ugly stick elite. 7 foot ultra light. Ordered it on line and picked the rod up today at Gander Mountain. Went shopping this evening with the wife and stopped at Walmart. They had a 7 foot ultra light ugly stick Pro. Was cheaper than the elite and I liked it better. That's me, always a day late. Does anyone else use either of these rods? What do you think of them? Pop

Post Thanks / Like

I have several of the 7' light action Lite Pros. The main difference between both of these rods and the traditional Ugly Stik lines is the increased graphite composition in the blank which results in a smaller diameter, lighter weight and increased sensitivity. The Lite line has been phased out and replaced by the Elite series of rods. You can still find some original Lites in obscure model numbers from online retailers. The Lite Pro is a version distributed exclusively by Walmart. My local Walmart stores are still stocked with a variety of quite a few of the Lite Pros so I'm not sure these are being completely phased out like the legacy Lite rods were. Overall decent, reliable and rugged rods for the price that have not given me any issues in freshwater or salt. Much better sensitivity from the original US line or the new GX2 line.

Post Thanks / Like

I love both. Good rods.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 3 of the ugly stick pro lites - 2, 6' 6" and one 7 footer and they are really nice. You have to watch though when your looking at action cause they do have several actions in each length. Enjoy you'll like them.

Post Thanks / Like

All my ugly sticks are the old versions
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch552 View Post
    I have several of the 7' light action Lite Pros. The main difference between both of these rods and the traditional Ugly Stik lines is the increased graphite composition in the blank which results in a smaller diameter, lighter weight and increased sensitivity. The Lite line has been phased out and replaced by the Elite series of rods. You can still find some original Lites in obscure model numbers from online retailers. The Lite Pro is a version distributed exclusively by Walmart. My local Walmart stores are still stocked with a variety of quite a few of the Lite Pros so I'm not sure these are being completely phased out like the legacy Lite rods were. Overall decent, reliable and rugged rods for the price that have not given me any issues in freshwater or salt. Much better sensitivity from the original US line or the new GX2 line.
    I appreciate your reply as well as others who replied. I was fine with your reply until the last sentence. "Much Better sensitivity from the original US line or the new GX2 line". Did you mean "Much Better sensitivity (than) from the original US line of the new GX2 line"? Thanks, Pop

Post Thanks / Like

I have a few Ugly sticks laying around the house. My kids and wife use them. They are decent rods for the price. There are better rods out there, but the Ugly sticks work. Then again I watched a buddy cast 1/16 ounce jigs with a catfish pole and catch plenty of Crappie with it. 10# mono line, big barrel swivel and all.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I bought one of the elites and paired it with a president reel. I've never been a fan of the ugly stik, I find the tip to be too flimsy for my liking and not as sensitive as a full graphite rod. However I wanted a rod the was tough as I kept breaking my other ultra lite rods. So far I like the elite pretty well. It still has a flimsy tip and the sensitivity is still not great but it's a good balance between sensitivity and a strong rod. I still catch a lot of fish with it and landed some nice bass and it is a tough rod and perfect for casting jigs and shooting docks with.
    Smile, it kills time between disasters!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pop View Post
    I appreciate your reply as well as others who replied. I was fine with your reply until the last sentence. "Much Better sensitivity from the original US line or the new GX2 line". Did you mean "Much Better sensitivity (than) from the original US line of the new GX2 line"? Thanks, Pop
    Correct. I'm still getting accustomed to posting from the Tapatalk app on my phone. The Lite Pros have done very well for us at their price point. There are certainly better rods out there for more money but you can do a lot worse.