Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Report; 9/15/16

Post Thanks / Like

Default Report; 9/15/16

Walt & I launched around 7:45 this morning. Water temp was 70 degrees (slowly cooling down). Air was a very brisk 48 degrees! Fall is in the air. The breeze starting off was great....around 5 - 10 mph, but they were predicting a "breezy" day, due to another cold front that slammed into us yesterday. Didn't happen. By 10 am we were almost becalmed. UGH!

One of these days, when we get a kicker wind, you'll see much improved results from this team of crappie anglers. But for today, we ended up with 48 - all but 2 were crappie....the 2 being gills. We had most of our success with straight tails and Roadrunners. I tried tubes as well, but nada. We're going to hold off on future crappie trips unless we can get a 10 - 15 mph (sustained) wind. Then I know we'll kick 'em good.

Here are a few pics of some of today's catch - all CPR, of course:

Name:  Walt_1.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  113.9 KB

Name:  Rich_1.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  107.1 KB

Name:  Walt_2.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  122.6 KB

Name:  Rich_2.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  97.4 KB

Name:  Walt_3.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  110.2 KB

A great day to be on the water. The weather is becoming simply delightful. I did miss two very nice crappie - probably due to crimping down the barbs on all our hooks - but what the heck....lots of fun anyway. And besides, they'll be there for another day. Hope you all got a chance to get out and wet a line. God Bless America!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes brucec LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Ok Crestliner I have a question. Why do you like so much wind?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post
    Ok Crestliner I have a question. Why do you like so much wind?
    Wind is your friend! It really is. Crappie get really turned on by it. And our method of fishing blends nicely with that - namely, drifting with jigs. The faster the drift, the more aggressive we find the bite to become. Sometimes our jigs are just about water skiing, yet the bite is tremendous. And this goes for yellow perch, bluegill, bass and even rainbow trout. A much overlooked presentation in my opinion.

Also, be aware that we are not fishing snag infested water. Rather, the lake(s) we target are usually bowls with little in the way of structure. Mostly these lakes are 15' - 30' deep at the most. We fish open water, away from the shorelines. It never ceases to amaze me that we are usually the only ones out there. But hey, ya gotta do, what the fish wants, right? It just flat works for us.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Crestline, I'd like to invite you to Oklahoma, where "slight breeze" can be a 20 -30 mph. Some days we can ski by drifting. On those days, wind is not necessarily your friend.

Love the posts and the pictures. Hope to get to your part of the country someday. Keep them coming.

Bob

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Great report guys
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep