Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Minn Kota Ulterra battery life

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minn Kota Ulterra battery life

I have an Minn Kota Ulterra trolling motor, 24volt, 80 lb. thrust. I have 2 new Optima blue top batteries, D27M, MCA-100, CCA- 800, AH-66, RC-140. I cannot troll for 1 hr. without my I-pilot remote showing my trolling batteries voltage is low and the remote stops working.
    Any ideas why the batteries are running down so quick? Shouldn't I be able to troll for a longer period of time than this? I am not even running half speed.
    Anyone else having issues like this?
    When batteries are charged, what should the voltage be at the batteries?

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

MinnKota is having issues with their new style remote eating batteries. The battery in your remote has zero to do with your Optimas. Call MnnKota, get a service return authorization and send it back for a new one. I did recently on my Rip Tide remote and got the new one in 3-4 days. Mine was under warranty. Hope yours is. I felt it was in my interest to buy a spare remote since I use mine constantly with guide clients and pulling cranks. I also keep extra batteries for my remotes on board.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The battery on my remote is not running down. It still shows full voltage. The icon on the remote for the trolling motor batteries is what is showing low. I guess the remote quits working when that voltage gets at a certain level. I do not know, but it is aggravating.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the 80# Ulterra. I use WalMart everstart 27s. After 4 hours crankbaiting, I am rundown but my batteries ain't.

Full charge, I would expect to read 26v or a few tenths above 26. This should be the no load measurement immediately after a charge. MY thoughts here. You can Google up your battery specifics.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Charge your batterys up and then get them load tested.....it sounds like one of them is bad even tho its new.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk 2
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes wannabe fisherman, Cane Pole LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "G" View Post
    Charge your batterys up and then get them load tested.....it sounds like one of them is bad even tho its new.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk 2
    yep check them, I've seen NEW batteries that wouldn't even take a charge. Had a Die Hard that was 6 months old just quit on me, found out it had a dead short internally.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer
    Likes Cane Pole LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies.