Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New boat?

Post Thanks / Like

Default New boat?

Was given an older 16 foot aluminum boat. Needing to get it on the water.

Where should a man start? Need new gas tanks, batteries (marine?), and the like?

Where's a good place to start my shopping (online)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Walmart batteries have always treated me well, gas can wherever you find a deal, but then go to West Marine and pick up a Non EPA compliant fuel cap so your tank does not balloon under pressure or send excessive pressure to your fuel system. Just take your time and shop around and search the internet.

Post Thanks / Like

Be careful if you end up getting a used steel tank for your outboard as many of them are rusty inside. Cleaning the rust and gunk out can be a daunting task. If you do end up with one I suggest that after you get it clean go to Eastwood Automotive (or somewhere similar) and get a fuel tank sealer. I will let my experience benefit others.

If you get or got a used outboard replace ALL the rubber hoses with the new alcohol resistant type. Cheap insurance against gumming up the innards.

As mentioned Wal*Mart batteries are sufficient for a recreational boat, but another place you might try is a Golf Cart shop, as they have some really heavy duty deep cycle batteries while a bit more expensive will outlast anything W*M has.

And for WHERE to get all this - it depends where you are located. Here within a few miles of a major pair of lakes (Kentucky & Barkley) there are quite a few marinas and boat dealers from which I can choose - BUT - they can be pricey, so I rely on the internet a lot and have gotten quite a few things from Amazon at prices considerably lower than I can find locally.

And lastly join the forum at tinboats.net which is a forum for aluminum boats and has LOTS of ideas and information.

Take and post pictures as you progress.

Good luck
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!
    Likes flintcreek LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If doing any repairs it will help everybody & u no matter what site to try & post picts of u problem or repair if possible. jax
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

What's your progress? The above is great advice.
    I spent more time online looking at pictures, and manufacturers website than actually working on the boat. Look at the glass boat s also. Take their ideas and apply it to your needs. Use as much aluminum as possible, wood, while easier for most to work with, rots and is heavy. Source your local fabrication and weld shops, most times their prices for materials are good. Aluminum is also easier to work with than most people realize.
    Drinkin coffee, missin fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm on TinBoats and have rebuilt several aluminum boats over the years. I'm currently running a 16' aluminum boat I rebuilt two years ago. I go by the same screen name over there.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Progress is about the same. Life got in the way lol. Went to get motor tuned and had a fiasco with that.

I've been reading a good bit on tinboats. Awesome site, some amazing talent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post