Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions: Most sensitive rod with backbone?

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Opinions: Most sensitive rod with backbone?

The skeet reese was the first I had then a bass pro model that I swear one could swim by and you could feel it but I broke it. Share your thoughts for your one pole favorite please.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

For me that would have to be my 6'6" ESP Power Lite ... which I use as my primary jig casting & dock shooting rod. Paired with a reel that balances well with the rod, it becomes an extension of my casting arm and is light enough to not wear me out after only a few hours of casting. Mine is currently paired with a Okuma Stratus STX20 & 6# test Vicious Panfish copoly hi-vis line.

The tip is "very fast" action and there's plenty of backbone for solid hooksets & control of large fish. The sensitivity is high, due to the high modulus graphite blank & handle. The Tenn style handle has the blank running through it, and metallic disks around the blank & touching the inside of the handle ... all in order to transmit the vibrations through the entire rod, directly to your hand/fingers.
    Micro guides keep the line straight upon casting, with little to no "line slap" to decrease the distance of your cast. While they do prohibit the use of some "bobber stops", that's not a negative in my case, since I do not use the rod with slip floats.

My model has the extended handle (for leverage), which I call a "poodle tail". I'm not particularly fond of it, myself, but it doesn't deter me from using it. According to the ad pictures on the mfg website, it would appear that the extended handle is no longer there on the newer models. In my book, that only makes them more desirable (to me).

Post Thanks / Like

the ESP is nice for sure , I broke my buds one time and he almost cried ,closed an ice chest on the tip of it in the dark I did .
    I replaced it though and we are all good again ...LOL ....
    I got an old proto type 7 footer (different brand) that you cant buy that is VERY sensitive and its a medium action and light as a feather and will flat out lift 9 lbs right off the concrete .....only use it in the spring and or when I think fish might exceed 2 with braid on it most of the time . A bit to stout for all around crappie in these parts for sure IMHO ....
    lots of backbone is great if you are a meat hauler or pro ....but it takes a lot of the game play out of even a big crappie for sure .....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm partial to B n' M rods myself. Hard to beat the action/sensitivity of their Sam Heaton's SuperSensitive rods. I have two in the 7' length and one in 9'. Very pleased with these and they cost around $50.00, which isn't too bad. What one person views as a "perfect" rod, varies from person to person based on individual feel and preferences, so, no matter what anyone says, it's probably best to try one out first before buying. That can be difficult to do I know.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

JDM > Loomis > St. Croix > Everybody else

Post Thanks / Like

Custom built MHX 7 foot light action fast tip. Perfect backbone, great for casting jigs from small to large or jigging.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

We fish with 10' Todd Huckabee Meat Dragger rods. They are medium heavy rods. We fish Capps and Coleman rigs with braided line...we can feel the least little tick with this set up. These rods transmit feel like crazy. You can feel your line going over branches. Highly recommend these rods.

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

7 ft. "G.Loomis" IMX. The Best out their.
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't cast but only verticle jig . I use Ozark 11' forward seat rods ( Tony Edgar ) , sensititve but enough back bone to swing in 2 lb slabs .
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Favorite jigging rod is bnm ultralite 11ft,favorite trolling is bnm Capps n Coleman 14ft,don't do a lot of casting but when I do I like my Sam Heaton 7 ft.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast