Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What fishing line is everyone using.

Post Thanks / Like

Default What fishing line is everyone using.

I'm sure there's tons of opinions but just courious. This new set up I got a few weeks ago is a Mitchel 308 spinning reel, Bucks 8ft jigging pole and spooled with this Maxima Ultra green 8lb test. So far I've had nothing but air knots, a couple bad bird's nests and the memory is terrible. The only other line I've ever really used is Trilene xl, just wondering whats better or even braided line. This is going to be my main jigging pole (from the docks once the boats leave in fall).

Post Thanks / Like

Lake Fork " Fluorotex panfish line...

Post Thanks / Like

suffix elite for casting, I don't do much vertical jig fishing

Post Thanks / Like

I've had similar issues with Maxima line. Stren, Suffix, and Trilene in their lighter weights 4-8# seem to work best. I use Cajun Red 12# for leaders when striper fishing, but it is stiff and doesn't spool well on small size spinning reels.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

I have not tried every line of course...but I could live just fine with only Trilene smooth casting and Power Pro braid. I always carry rods spooled with both and fish some with both on the same trip. I experiment still some with other lines...but I have tried a lot of lines that were suppose to be superior in everyway...but were not for me.

You have to get the twist out of any line...the more memory the line has the more problems you have. No matter whether you lay the spool flat or let it roll off the spool...you will always come out ahead if you pull out a good portion of the line across the yard or other open grass area,or play it out behind the boat and then reel it back in. If you can hold the rod between your legs and reel it while you pinch the line lightly between your fingers even better. It forces the twist out ...the line has to be able to turn with the twist so you don't want anything on the end of the line.

The optimum trick to me is spray some reel magic on a rag...and pinch the line in that rag and reel it in.It works out all the twist and coats the line with reel magic.Two people is better than one....but you can get creative to do it yourself.
    Likes Slabprowler LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Mr Crappie HI Vis mono 8lb for jigging and spider rigging, and 10lb for pulling crankbaits.

No problems......

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I like vicious hi vis 6lb for jigging.
    Likes JET4, trypman1, windstone LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I like mr crappie 6 and 8# on spinning reels for casting lures and vertical jigging on long poles with trigger spin reels, no problems on either reels .Have landed 30 muskie up to 25#on the 6# line in the last month,with only two bite offs . Have landed 62 keeper walleye up to 4 1/2 # on 6 and 8# with no bite offs in the last month. It' s very good line for the money.
    Likes Slabprowler LIKED above post

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Stren, #4 lb, Hi Vis Yellow or Mr. Crappie #6 lb, Hi Vis Yellow
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes Slabprowler, trypman1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

vicious hi-vis
    Likes windstone, ad1974 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast