Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Cold Is TOO COLD?!?!?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How Cold Is TOO COLD?!?!?

The weatherman called for a high of 39 today but missed it by 10-degrees as it never got above 29 all day. We also had snow flurries ALL day and 5 to 10-mph winds that changed direction constantly throughout the day. Every time we would find a place out of the wind where I thought we might catch a crappie or two it would change direction again.

Every time we wanted to drop our lines down we had to put our poles in the water up past the bottom eye to melt the ice out of the eyes so our bobber stoppers could go through them.

But we had a good time anyway and caught some decent crappie.

The biggest one in the middle was just over 15-inches and weighed just over 2-pounds, which is really heavy for a white crappie. It was real thick and looked like it had swallowed a tennis ball with all the eggs it had in it's belly.

That fish and a couple others hit a 1/16th-ounce orange/silver/chartreuse Shinee Hinee hair jig and we had several take a vertically jigged 1/4-ounce silver Kastmaster Spoon but the majority were caught on Rosey Red minnows from 18 to 24-feet deep. At times the bite was so light that they wouldn't even pull our slip-floats all the way under, which made bite detection a bit tricky in the constant chop. Motto of the day was, "If in doubt, SET THE HOOK!"
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish Jerry! Your moto reminded me of an old bass fishing buddy that had the same moto, seems like he pulled back more grass than bass though!
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shadow
    Nice fish Jerry! Your moto reminded me of an old bass fishing buddy that had the same moto, seems like he pulled back more grass than bass though!
    Well we say, "We would rather hook a log than miss a hawg". We missed quite a few obvious bites today because they would let go if we waited to long or took the rod out of the holder and then set the hook. We also caught several that I would have swore were just hung up in the bamboo because we set the hook just to be safe. Eating was definitely not a high priority for them today.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Too cold for me.....more like duck hunting weather than fishing, but I've went on some really pretty days and didn't do as well as you did today. Good catch under tough conditions.

Post Thanks / Like

Jerry it looks like those boys was well insulated so I bet they did Ok in the cold. Glad you were rewarded with a good mess of fish.

Dreading the wind on our nightstalk Saturday. 16mph out of the NW might get chilly. I wont know if its a fish, wind, or my shaking causing the bobber movement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake
    Well we say, "We would rather hook a log than miss a hawg". We missed quite a few obvious bites today because they would let go if we waited to long or took the rod out of the holder and then set the hook. We also caught several that I would have swore were just hung up in the bamboo because we set the hook just to be safe. Eating was definitely not a high priority for them today.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice mess of fish Jerry.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch!!!!

As to the title of the thread, Its too cold now. All the water here is hard!!!!

7 last night and hasn't made it much above freezing in a couple of weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

nice fish, Jerry. That kind of fishing is too much like hard work. We're hoping to get a warming trend this week-end that should help some. Hope you guys get some of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 3's
    Nice catch!!!!

As to the title of the thread, Its too cold now. All the water here is hard!!!!

7 last night and hasn't made it much above freezing in a couple of weeks.
    Yup when the water gets too hard to boat and cast, then its too cold, but as long as the water is open. FISH ON!!!!!
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by willsjwills
    nice fish, Jerry. That kind of fishing is too much like hard work. We're hoping to get a warming trend this week-end that should help some. Hope you guys get some of it.
    Amen jwills I went for a while this morning and caught six, but it took forever and it was COLD!!. Come on warm weather
    Biguns only:D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast