Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Old Boats

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old Boats

I've been trying to find pictures of all the boats we've had over the years and I'm missing a few. I asked Mom to dig through her photos and she found these for me. These are 3 of the first 5 boats we owned. I don't think there are any pics of boats 1 and 2.

This is the Ouachita that we had (Boat #3) The boat was a good one but the motor wasn't. We're at Reelfoot in this photo, around 1992, I'm guessing. That's Paul's '69 GMC that we towed the boat with. We rebuilt the engine in that truck under my parents' carport in the middle of hot summer. I became an official "grease monkey" during that project. That's also our popup camper in the background and my Dad's truck, officially known as "Ole Blue."
    Name:  20160903_201108.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  52.3 KB

This is our Bass Tracker (Boat #4) It was a great boat and we had a lot of good times in it. Back then, the hulls were riveted and when you got in rougher water, it sounded like it was coming apart. When my Dad died, our hearts just weren't in it anymore and we sold it.
    Name:  20160903_201052.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  24.8 KB

After a couple of years, we caught the fishing fever again and bought this old Glassmate (Boat #5). It really wasn't the best choice for fishing and Paul knew it from the beginning, but I liked it and being the sweet man he is, he let me have that one. The windshield was nice in cold weather and the dogs liked it, but it was definitely not a crappie boat.
    Name:  20160903_201128.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  32.1 KB

Over the course of 28+ years, we've had a lot of boats and there were good things about each of them. (Except for the old Cherokee vee bottom, I truly hate that boat.) Our very first one was a 12 ft aluminum boat with no motor that we traded for a load of firewood the winter after we bought our first house. We learned something with each one, we caught fish in each one and we made good memories, too. The boat we have now is probably as close to perfection as we'll ever get and if it weren't for all of those other learning experiences with the other ones along the way, I guess we'd be looking for yet another one!
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Great post Vonna
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good post Vonna. I too have had a few, mostly aluminum til this one. The first I gave $50 for and it had several holes in it. One was big enough to drop a baseball through and not hit the sides. A 10' jon that got a lot of use. Canoes, jon boats, belly boat, runabout and the one I still miss is the last one I had--the stick steer. Just rode too rough up front for me. I learned from mine too and always wanted something a little further along the process with more speed and comfort. What I have now serves me well but I still have the next one in my mind, something along the lines of what Feelay or Mr Dux sport around in. I was blessed to find this one and may never change but the thought is there.

I wish I could find a truck like the white one in the pic that y'all rebuilt, my favorite body style. I had a '69 for a time and liked everything about it except the gas tank in the cab. That one looked nice. Was the Ouachita in the pic a stick steer? It looks like one a friend and I used to fish out of that he owned. Fish catching machine. Your post brought back a lot of memories of past boats and some of the places that I fished with each one. Thanks Vonna.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes blueball, crp4570 LIKED above post

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a great post Vonna. You and Paul have built so many great memories together. It got me to thinking how I have been blessed with five boats over the years from Jon boats, Crosby side wheel steer boats, Venture Bass boats but my favorite always has been the boat I had to leave behind in Ohio. Like you and Paul, I absolutely loved my Bass Tracker boat the best.

Name:  Venture small.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  80.4 KB

Name:  onthewater.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  50.7 KB

Name:  Shipahoy_41_s_boat.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  48.3 KB
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes snake River, Davedirt, crp4570 LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I liked your Red Boat the bestest.

This Red Boat.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-.../299107-boats/
    Last edited by Cane Pole; 09-04-2016 at 10:37 AM.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes Mrs. Crappie Stalker LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    I liked your Red Boat the bestest.

This Red Boat.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-.../299107-boats/
    I forgot I had written this.
    I was so excited that Mom had found the other pictures that it looks like I wrote nearly the same thing again. Ha! I guess I'm getting forgetful at 50.
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!
    Likes Cane Pole, "G", crp4570, shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I like reruns. I have them on regular basis.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

And you aren't alone Tom.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=skeetbum;3281392]

Was the Ouachita in the pic a stick steer? It looks like one a friend and I used to fish out of that he owned. Fish catching machine.

Skeet,
    This boat had a console. It was a wide stable boat with a low deck on it. It fished great,We just could never get the bugs worked out of the engine.
    Paul -- Team Crappie Stalker
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post