Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: MotorGuide runs in High speed only

Post Thanks / Like

Default MotorGuide runs in High speed only

I have a MotorGuide Magnum 41ft/lb that runs in max speed only. No matter what the settings are set on and even if the rheostat speed control is off. As soon as the TM gets power it runs in max speed.

I am stuck at the lake and can only go 2.5-3.0 mph! Wanted to try out some smile blades on a slo death setup at 1mph.

I sprayed electrical contact cleaner on the switches under the foot control. I removed the momentary hi speed switch and disconnected it and tried it and cleaned it.

Any assistance appreciated.

I just need to get by a few more months, have been debating on which MinnKota Terrova to get and after I decided (80 with 60" shaft and link) now Minn Kota has upgraded terrovas coming out in late 2016 so I am waiting for one of those.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like your speed control switch is shorted internally. Best thing to do is replace that switch. In the meantime check all the slip on wire connectors that go onto that switch, make sure nothing is shorted across them.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the speed coil... it is in the foot.

Post Thanks / Like

Switch on the left side if in the full on position will give you full power. Check it.

Post Thanks / Like

Like Bee said check the High-Bypass switch.

Constant / Momentary / High-BypassMomentary Switch – The Momentary Switch is locatedon the top right side of the foot pedal. The MomentarySwitch works in conjunction with the Three-Position Switchwhen it is in positions B and C.Three-Position Switch - This three-position switchprovides you with three options for operating the motor:constant on, momentary, and high-bypass.A) Constant On - This allows the motor to runcontinuously at the speed selected by the SpeedControl Knob without the use of the Momentaryswitch.B) Momentary - This allows the motor to activate withthe Momentary switch at the speed selected by theSpeed Control Knob.C) High-Bypass - This will automatically deliver fullthrust when the Momentary switch is activated.On / Off Toggle Switch – Power on and off switch.

http://www.motorguide.com/userfiles/...ers-Manual.pdf
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

The momentary switch was not on, I took it out and cleaned it and disconnected it, problem still existed. So I cleaned it and put it back in. Noticed there was a 10 gauge wire from the 3 position switch (C.On, Mom, whatever the other is on the side of foot.) that ran to a 3 point device, that short wire was shorting to a wire coming off the speed selector. They were shorting together. Thus speed selector could be in any position including off and it still run on high.

I just wrapped it in some electrical tape, it's fixed for now. We'll see.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear you found the problem. Hope you were able to still have a good fishing trip.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, i did and the tape is holding. Thanks