Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Choosing the right fishing line for bobber stoppers?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Choosing the right fishing line for bobber stoppers?

I have the string bobber stoppers on my line and it seems to constantly get loose and lose grip onto the line. I am using 8lb Mr. Crappie Mega Spool Hi Vis line. How do I solve this issue? Should I switch to a different type of line? If so, which kind? What kind of bobber stoppers do you guys use and how are they? Should I put two bobber stoppers next time?

Post Thanks / Like

We almost exclusively fish slip corks and never have the issue you are describing. On my wife and my poles we use power pro original 15 lb braid or gamma 15 lb. The gamma is very difficult to move the stop knot on. In fact it's almost too tight. We use the pink string stops and I tighten the crap out of them with a pliers on one end while holding the other in my teeth. I melt the excess off with a Berkeley line cutter right to the knot so there isn't any excess , this creates a football shaped stop knot. On my daughters rod I use 6 lb hi vis mr crappie line simply because she could easily get cut by the braid. I use the same bobber stop and tighten and cut it the same way. It holds very well and never slips.
    The stop knots we use come in a 100 pack tube from grizzly jig, but I forgot who the manufacturer is. We use the bobbers the same company who makes the stopers does which are called crappie stalker. They come in green and pink. We use a glass bead Instead of the bead that comes with the stoppers, I got them at cabelas and think they are a 4 mm bead.
    I do wet the stop knot with some spit before I cinch it down too.

Hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like

I never use store bought knots. They seem to bulky for me and get stuck in the reels spool sometimes. I normally use 6lb mr. crappie line and tie my own slip knots with 8lb eagle claw line. I tie 3 overhand knots and sinch down on them pretty hard. The secret to the knot is to use line that is 2lb heaver then the line in the reel. Also that it is mono on mono. These do wear out after awhile of moving them up and down but putting a new one on is easy. I never use a bead but I buy slip floats with a very small hole or ones that have a built in bead. The knot you buy in the store work but you have to pull them tight. I have used the store bought knots but I use them on rigs I fish straight down so I can get the depth correct each time. The green ones show up very well.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Eagle Claw rubber stoppers. They have a football shape and come in 3 different sizes: 2-4 lb, 4-8 lb, 8-12 lb
    just click on eagleclaw.com (they last a long time)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mosquitopat View Post
    I use Eagle Claw rubber stoppers. They have a football shape and come in 3 different sizes: 2-4 lb, 4-8 lb, 8-12 lb
    just click on eagleclaw.com (they last a long time)
    OK I have those from BPS but they're not labeled as to which color goes on what size line, if you know this would you post the line size to the color that fits it?
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Both colors (red & black) are the same size, it goes by the size on the pack
    they came out of.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk