PDA

View Full Version : BPS Mr. Crappie line?

Garyoutlaw
02-15-2007, 07:55 PM
Good features...good price ..Just wondered what the real fishermen think of this camo line - Thanks Gary

MAINEIAC
02-15-2007, 08:18 PM
Very good line. I fish 7 days a week at home (Maine) in water with 7 or 8ft. visibility. Some days it is a must so I just use it all the time.

CrappiePappy
02-16-2007, 01:04 AM
Good features...good price ..Just wondered what the real fishermen think of this camo line - Thanks Gary

The first, last, and only time I've ever seen/touched WM camo/multicolored line ... was a few years ago. It was on a WM reel, in the consignment cabinet of my local tackle store. I found it to be very stiff and wirey feeling, and that was enough for me to not even consider buying it. I'm sure it is tough stuff (abrasion resistant), but the stiffness of it put me off.
I've also come to the conclusion that, for the places and times and methods I use ... I don't need a low-vis line. I've successfully used Stren Gold, Trilene XT Solar, Trilene Iron Silk Solar Mint, and Trilene Photochromic mono lines ... all of which are hi-vis lines. And, with the demise of Iron Silk, and having won a rather large spool of Mr Crappie hi-vis (Chartreuse) line, in CrappieDay's contest ... I plan on giving it a trial run, in the upcoming season. I will report back on my experiences with it. It does seem to be a fairly limp and soft line, albeit a little stretchy, but I won't prejudge it beyond that ... until I have had a chance to use it, for a period of time.
Most of my fishing is done with various "casting" methods, and if I can't see the line ... then I'm going to miss strikes. So far, even with the water clarity of the lakes I fish being relatively clear, and using hi-vis lines, I still get fish to strike the bait. That lends me to believe that the fish are not as concerned about the line color, as they are about the lure on the end of it. Just MHO, though ........... luck2ya, whatever you use ......... cp :cool:

bugman
02-16-2007, 06:09 AM
I use hi-vis Mr Crappie line and will continue to do so as long as they make it...never tried the camo line but i would assume it is similar to the hi-vis.

DENNIS BOWERS
02-16-2007, 06:46 AM
I too use the Hi-Vis Mr. Crappie line. I have used it since it came out-No Problems. I need a line I can see,didnt like the Camo line for that reason.I too will continue to use it,for the price its a deal. Tip: a little Reel Magic keeps your line conditioned,helps do away with memory,ect. I spray my Reels once a week.

crappie52
02-16-2007, 08:52 AM
its all i use 6lb love it!

england
02-16-2007, 03:49 PM
I love the hi vis, no problems with it. I vertical jig 90 % of the time and it works just fine. The low price lets me respool as I should without going broke.

drill instructor
02-16-2007, 03:52 PM
I have been using it for years now, only line i use for trolling. The newer line has more of a red tint, but works just as good. I would still like to be able to buy the camo line. One thing that i can say, make sure you buy the Mr Crappie line. They have another line that looks very similar to Mr Crappie, but its a world of difference.

willsjwills
02-16-2007, 03:58 PM
I was given a spool of Berkley Vanish for my birthday. Anyone tried it?

Baditude
02-16-2007, 04:47 PM
I have but didn't really care for it... I have found that Silver Thread seems to work the best for my and my casting style - the 6# is my favorite paired with an abu cardinal 101...SMOOTH !

J White
02-16-2007, 04:57 PM

I really love it for trolling, I'm using 8 to 12 lb. I've had it on a few
casting rigs, and it works ok for that, maybe a little stiffer than other line,
but it seems to stand up better to abrasion than mono for me.
I'm comparing it diameter for diameter now, not to some "tuff" line that
is supposed to be same pound test but is three times as thick ;)

hunt4crappie
02-16-2007, 05:22 PM
Mr. Crappie Camo worked fine for me when I was trolling, but not so good when I was pitching jigs. After two years I switched to Cajun Red. So far I am happy because it works for all my applications.

locoman
02-16-2007, 07:16 PM
I swtiched to Cajun Red recently also it suits me better than Mr. Crappie, but that"s just me I'm fairly new(2 yeears) to crappie fishing.

slabbandit
02-16-2007, 07:55 PM
I still prefer the Stren Hi-Vis Gold for my jig fishing but I am looking for a good hi-vis 4lb. line for my spinning rods. I'm thinking about trying Stren Gold on them too.

koobycrappie
02-16-2007, 08:12 PM
I have been using 10# suffix hi vis yellow elite works great for me. I would like to try the mr. crappie line,have heard good things about it and it is cheap
(price).

fiddlefarter
02-16-2007, 09:09 PM
I use and like the 4# Mr Crappie line. I like the yellow better than the camo but i have a whole spool of the 6# camo that i haven't used much

gabowman
02-16-2007, 09:32 PM

I fished with it last winter and although I though it was the toughest 4# line I'd ever seen it also retained memory bad. In about a month of hard fishing I was respooling due to the memory. Fishing line choice here in my home town is terrible so from the few choices I had I went back to 4# triline this year. I plan on picking up some 4 # Stren hi-vis when I run across it. All I hear are good things about the hi-vis but have never tried it.

Fishpole
02-16-2007, 11:19 PM
have tried both camo and hi/vis gold, with my old eyes i can't use the camo. Can't see a stike unless the pole bend and many just run and i miss to many.may string some up to doodle a jig in the spring when they get on the trees in the shallows and i can feel em hit.

Garyoutlaw
02-17-2007, 12:25 AM
I have a full spool of #10 Hi Viz
Almost full # 10 Camo & 3/4 spool #8

Trades welcomed or cash offers - Thanks Gary

fish.on
02-17-2007, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by willsjwills

I like the Vanish and the P-Line. I vertical jig a lot and have had very good luck with both. I can see the line and in clear water it makes a differance for me. I use heavier line with high visability in murky water as it seems to attract more bites.

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
02-17-2007, 05:43 PM
I tried the camo and did not care for it. Hard to see and the memory was awefull. I will stick with Stren.

SpeckWick
02-17-2007, 11:11 PM
I have used the camo and the high vis. The camo is a little stiff, but I really like the high vis stuff. You don't miss many light bites if you are a line watcher with that stuff. I use the 4# a lot to give even more sensitivity. Only problem, if you snag up, your broke off. 4# is unforgiving that way, but not just the Mr.Crappie stuff. Plus, for the price, can't beat it. I have been told by a few people that the chartreuse color actually helps the fish find the jig/bait. I can't be sure of that, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything.