Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which life vest

Post Thanks / Like

Default which life vest

I am trying to find me a comfortable, but effective life vest to buy. I am entertaining the idea of the automatic kind and the manual kind that you pull a cord to inflate, but am kind of Leary of them. I have looked at the vest typw that dont have anything around the shoulders and neck but have floatation around the body. I want the kind that is comfortable to fish in but know beyond any doubt they will work when needed.
    Likes jigman_09 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have the one that looks like a fanny pack and you hardly know it is there. I wasn't sure if the law would approve it, but I pulled up to the ramp and one got out of the truck but when I stood up and took it off he got back in and drove off.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be cautious with the side pack type pdf. They work, but you have to crawl in it if the need arises. If you are a good swimmer and don't panic easy, then you may be ok with one. If you get the breath knocked out of you or knocked stupid, then you could be in serious trouble.

We use the Mustsangs. We also have SoSpenders. Both are fairly comfortable, but the Mustang will keep your face out of the water (in case you get knocked stupid). In real hot weather, they both suck.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes Billbob LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Yea I'm not a big fan of the fanny pack kind. I value my life more than what I trust that kind, but I appreciate your response. I'm leaning towards theBass Pro brand like the Mustang, mainly because of price.

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I have. Keep them indoors though because they will inflate left in the boat on hot, humid days. Recharge kits aren't cheap.
    Randy Andres
    Likes wannabe fisherman, crp4570 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of the over the neck inflatable as well but I like the around the waist for comfort. I carry regular jackets as well for anyone fishing with me if they want. I am a good swimmer though.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You also have to take into account the "law" of your state, as it pertains to inflatable PFDs. Here in KY, an inflatable only counts as a PFD ... IF you are wearing it. Take it off and you'd better have a regular "life jacket" PFD within reach/sight !!
    Likes wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep same way in MS

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk 2
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Same here in Oklahoma. I have a mustang style, very comfortable!!
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

I have an old Mustang one. It is at least 8 years old but the bulb still shows it as green so I have been assuming it is still good. Does everyone agree?

Also, can someone explain better about what type is required on a lake like KY Lake? Are you saying that if I am fishing by myself and have a Mustang type, do I also need one of those standard zip up type life jackets? I had someone tell me that was the case but I am not sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast