Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fly fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fly fishing

Hey guys...I just bought my first fly rod...I have never fly fished in my life, but have always wanted to learn....Does anyone have any suggestions on books or websites out there that I can learn about fly fishing? I mainly wanted it for ponds etc to catch sunfish and crappie and small bass out of and really have no idea on what flies or poppers work the best...Any info would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nice!

Hey Chadku - Alright - congratulations! You are going to have some real fun with your fly rod. There are a bunch of good guys at http://www.thebasspond.com. It's a warmwater fly fishing site - they can recommend books or tapes I'm sure. Tight lines! Alec
    Last edited by flytackle; 02-15-2007 at 05:35 PM. Reason: correction

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fly Fishing

You will LOVE it! It is all in the wrist. Go out into your yard and practice. You don't even need to have a fly tied on. Just work the rod from the 10:00 to the 2:00 position. Use a black or brown woolly bugger. This will drive them crazy! Crappie can't stand it. Once your fly is in the water, just twitch your fly through the water. HINT! If you want your fly to go a little deeper, SPIT on it. Trust me, with a fly rod, I catch fish when no one else can.

Post Thanks / Like

Default What he said

I taught fly fishing many years ago as a guide. fatboy123 hit the nail on the head.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! I am really looking forward to it!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fly fishing

Thanks mainiac. My dad let me use his fly rod whan I was 8. The gills were on the beds and he almost lost that rod forever. That was 26 years ago and one of my fondest memories with my dad. He and I are planning a trip to Wiess lake in Alabama March 22-26th and I hope to break out the ole long pole for some action down there.