Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quest for the stick steer crowd

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question for the stick steer crowd

Have any of you come up with a good way to secure your outboard when travelling? I have a 40 HP and I use two bungees on the stick but it is not foolproof and the motor will tilt left or right as I drive.
    I think some mechanisms have a lock on the gear box at the stick steer, but mine doesn't.
    Last edited by SeaRay; 08-28-2016 at 07:34 PM.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

Get a ratchet strap, I don't use any bungees on my motor. Run the hooks from corner to corner on the trailer to get as much of a "low pull" as possible keeping the motor sucked in tight to the transom saver. May also need to adjust your transom saver so the motor isn't tilted up as high

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Brimfisher LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ray, get you one of these with this head that fits over the rear roller on your trailer. This is what I had to go to. It holds my 50 in place very well. It may also solve your trim problem.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Swivl...w&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately my trailer does not have a rear roller. I had to really look to find a transom saver that would work on my trailer and I had to do some modification at that. Here is mine, got it at Cabela's also: http://www.cabelas.com/product/boati...%3FN%3D1100657
    Don't think that would help the trim issue, something is causing the system to lock up which is why I wondered if it had a hydraulic pressure switch that overrides the control switch. Every time it happens I think I am taking it to the shop, but it starts working before I can get there and works perfectly for 2 or 3 trips before it does it again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaRay View Post
    Have any of you come up with a good way to secure your outboard when travelling? I have a 40 HP and I use two bungees on the stick but it is not foolproof and the motor will tilt left or right as I drive.
    I think some mechanisms have a lock on the gear box at the stick steer, but mine doesn't.
    I have same issue. We need something to lock the stick. I have looked and looked but haven't found anything that is small....not too intrusive.....and only takes seconds to engage or disengage.

Regards

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaRay View Post
    Unfortunately my trailer does not have a rear roller. I had to really look to find a transom saver that would work on my trailer and I had to do some modification at that. Here is mine, got it at Cabela's also: http://www.cabelas.com/product/boati...%3FN%3D1100657
    Don't think that would help the trim issue, something is causing the system to lock up which is why I wondered if it had a hydraulic pressure switch that overrides the control switch. Every time it happens I think I am taking it to the shop, but it starts working before I can get there and works perfectly for 2 or 3 trips before it does it again.
    Ray, what I'm saying is that particular transom saver has several configurations. I'm sure it could be adapted to your mount and it's the only head that would hold my 50 straight on my stick steer, then I'm saying if you ran it down into that saver tight that might just help your other problem but maybe not. Mine is a Yamaha and has acted up a few times, buddy has a 75 4 stroke on a pontoon. I have replaced the up/down solenoid and replaced brushes in motor and it sometimes still acts like yours. Next time it does it try tapping on side of trim motor in the area around the upper end where brushes are. Sometimes that will make it take off. Use a small rubber mallet, large screw driver handle or piece of wooden dowel.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I'll try the tapping next time it fails. Could be the brushes in the motor sticking. It only does it when I drive the boat onto the trailer and then only randomly. It has never failed at launch so trailering it does not seem to cause the problem.
    Sooner or later it will stay "broke" then maybe we can diagnose it. Appreciate the tips.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same trouble with my stick steer. I bought a cheap padlock clasp and cut the end off. The slot was perfect to slide around the stick. I screwed it down beside the stick and I can flip it to lock and it lays flat down when fishing. I will take a pic and post .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johndeere5045 View Post
    I had the same trouble with my stick steer. I bought a cheap padlock clasp and cut the end off. The slot was perfect to slide around the stick. I screwed it down beside the stick and I can flip it to lock and it lays flat down when fishing. I will take a pic and post .
    I have been looking at the hasp with the same idea in mind. I had not figured out just how to position it so that if flip on and off the stick easily. I think that is going to be the answer (or one anyway). Would like to see pictures when you get a chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johndeere5045 View Post
    Anxious to see pics of this myself....thanks.

Regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast