Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golf cart batteries.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Golf cart batteries.

I know some of y'all have them in your boats that pull crank baits a lot looking to put some in my need some feed back witch ones are good bad any off would be great! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talk with Rees Guide. He runs some in his boat. I think.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes blueball LIKED above post

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 3 Trojan 1275s under the center console of my Excel Bay Pro 203 for my RipTide 112. I've been asked how long they will last and honestly, I have no idea. I've ran them as long as 8 hours solid and have yet to see any drop in performance. My boat is heavier than many comparable glass boats in empty hull weight (1550lbs), 5 batteries total plus a bunch of gear.
    Last edited by M R Dux; 08-26-2016 at 10:41 PM.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes Clint, blueball, theygotaeat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If you can afford them, get them. If you pull long enough, you will end up with them. They last longer than all others. Time depends on boat weight, gear weight, fuel weight, human weight, wind conditions, and strength of current.
    Likes blueball LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

You didn't really say what size boat or your reason for getting golf cart batteries in the first place? I have not really seen any information that would lead one to believe that a golf cart battery will last longer than a standard AGM battery? The boats we setup and run in Michigan are desinged for trolling for walleye, salmon, steelhead etc... Most of our trolling in done at speeds in excess of 1.4mph for pulling crawler harnesses and crank baits. 2.2mph for pulling spoons.

The best batteries that I have found as far as price, durability, and quality are the Duracell batteries (sold at Sam's Club). The AGM group size 31 to be exact. We get around 12 hours of trolling time pushing an 18 foot boat using a 24v 80 lb thrust motor. Boats weight an average of 1375lbs and the average trolling speed during this time is 1.8mph (with or into the wind). On tournament weeks, I start on Tuesday and prefish through Friday. I charge every night and the only time my trolling motor isn't on is when I am moving from one spot to another with the big motor.

The biggest thing to look at (in my opinion) is reserve capacity. In one of my tournament boats I run Cabelas group 31 AGM and Duracell's in the new boat. The Duracell's perform better and have more reserve capacity. I'm on six years with some of my AGM batteries with no issues. Like I said, other than running from spot to spot, weather it is trolling, jigging, or still fishing (anchor lock) my trolling motor is constantly on.

I guess if someone has better data than that information, it might be worth taking a look at. I know, trust and rely on my gear for tournaments. If the trolling motor batteries died, my fishing time would die too.
    A good quality charger is a must.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes Mt Nebo, catchNgrease LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2072 war eagle with minn Kota power drive v2 group 27 batteries in it after 6 hours of trolling fighting the wind at .5 mph they was pretty much dead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cox View Post
    I have a 2072 war eagle with minn Kota power drive v2 group 27 batteries in it after 6 hours of trolling fighting the wind at .5 mph they was pretty much dead

Wow, that sucks! Now I see why you are weighing your options!
    Again, havn't seen much on the cart batteries but hope the information I provided at least gives you some numbers to look at.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

The Trojan group 31 had the highest compasity of RC which is why I use them. I have a Wareagle 861 with 115 hp 4 stroke with a 24 volt terrava I pilot link. I started with group 27 and then 29's but only the group 31's kept me on the water. I even have a second set wired to another female end plug for those days the higher wind and current zap the first set.

Some people use a trolling plate or just the big motor with wind socks but I just wasn't comfortable with these methods.
    Hope this helps. Not saying this is the best way, just the best way I've found that worked for me.
    Likes Clint LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have an Minn Kota Ulterra trolling motor, 24volt, 80 lb. thrust. I have 2 new Optima blue top batteries, D27M, MCA-100, CCA- 800, AH-66, RC-140. I cannot troll for 1 hr. without my I-pilot remote showing my trolling batteries voltage is low and the remote stops working.
    Any ideas why the batteries are running down so quick? Shouldn't I be able to troll for a longer period of time than this? I am not even running half speed.
    Anyone else having issues like this?
    When batteries are charged, what should the voltage be at the batteries?

Post Thanks / Like

When the 2 12 volt group 31 Interstates needed changing in our Motorhome, I ran into an Interstate factory rep at a Camping World store and he showed me the data on capacity of the 12 volt versus the 6 volt golf cart battery they carried. There was a significant difference in the reserve capacity so I bought 2 6volt batteries and hooked them up in series to get 12 volts.
    We sometimes went a couple of days without hookups, meaning we ran off the batteries. We had a ceiling fan in the bedroom plus lighting and fans that ran non stop 24 to 48 hours. The difference in performance of the golf cart battery was amazing. After 2 days our original 12 volt batteries would be down a good bit, the 6 volt arrangement did not seem to have dropped much at all.
    I have seriously considered putting that arrangement in my boat. I only have 2 batteries and a 12 volt TM so I would have to run 3 batteries to do this and that is the only reason I have not switched.
    Can't run the DF on the TM batteries as it causes interference.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast