Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which rods for night-stalking?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which rods for night-stalking?

I want to buy some rods just for night fishing any suggestions?
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

for nite fishing i dont like to use anything over 6'6 and i am thinking of going to a 6 footers or shorter even.... but then again...i do more minnow dunking at nite than anything else

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabbandit
    I want to buy some rods just for night fishing any suggestions?
    Check over on the, I think South Carolina board, believe they do a lot of night stalking over there. Seem to like the ugly sticks the best.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Why do you need different poles for night fishing?
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 4-8 footers and 4-5 footers. When I am by myself I use 2 long ones and 2 short ones off each side of the boat. When I have a partner I use 2 of each in the front and they use the other 4 in the back.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

i use the ultra lite ugly sticks and the 9 foot US crappie rods. you want a rod with a very soft tip as nightstalking you are depending on the soft tips to relay the bite info to you, just like a bobber does. once you learn to read the tips, they will tell you as much as a bobber. if you using stiff tipped rods, you are better off using bobbers cause you arent gonna pick up on a lot of the bites you will be getting. a lot of the bites are very soft and you need a rod thats gonna show you the softer bites. painting the rod tips white also helps you with seein the bites.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing in this statement I dont agree with is painting the rod tips white. I have found that its not the tip section of the rod you can see but the line guides. If you just paint the backside of the rod guides white you can see them better than a whole rod painted white.
    Quote Originally Posted by rango
    i use the ultra lite ugly sticks and the 9 foot US crappie rods. you want a rod with a very soft tip as nightstalking you are depending on the soft tips to relay the bite info to you, just like a bobber does. once you learn to read the tips, they will tell you as much as a bobber. if you using stiff tipped rods, you are better off using bobbers cause you arent gonna pick up on a lot of the bites you will be getting. a lot of the bites are very soft and you need a rod thats gonna show you the softer bites. painting the rod tips white also helps you with seein the bites.

Post Thanks / Like

thats interesting gooch ill give that a try
    [never snap at the hand that feeds ya

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gooch
    The only thing in this statement I dont agree with is painting the rod tips white. I have found that its not the tip section of the rod you can see but the line guides. If you just paint the backside of the rod guides white you can see them better than a whole rod painted white.
    were not paintin the whole rod. only the distance from the last 2-3 eyes. on my boat we also help each other out, calling out bites on particualr rods the owner may not have seen. its sorta like you scratch my back and ill scratch yours... we try to work together as a team as much as possible. if just the backs of the eyes are painted, i doubt very seriously the bite will be as obvious to those sittin of to the sides. sooo i dont agree with the statement that painting the backs of the eyes is better. .
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Grizz, most of my rods are 11 ft jig poles and I want to set up a half dozen or so rods to just put up for night fishin'.
    Thanks Rango, I'm definately going to look at those rods and they will get the tips painted white before I go.
    Gooch ,you guys be sure to take some pics and post of your trip. Good Luck!
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast