Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Typical Bream Buster Setup?

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Typical Bream Buster Setup?

What's your typical set up for busting bream on the bottom this time of the year. Line size, hook size, weight, slip floats, multiple hooks on a line, etc., etc.? With all the Monday's and Friday's I have off work from now till April I'm planning on getting some hooks, weights, etc. and try some bream during the daytime. No maggots around here to buy....will just have to go with crawlers.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, I'm in Georgia, too. I get my maggots the old fashioned way -- Fedex! Click on the link above for Grubco and get some spikes.

Worms, waxies, meal worms work also. I fish them all under a waggler float with 4# max main line (get some Tectan from Cabelas), a 2-3# leader, and a #16 or #18 dry fly hook. Put most of the weight at the base of the float with a tiny shot or two near the float.

Put that rig near a bluegill and you're all set.

Post Thanks / Like

Same live worm set-up as Kevin basically except I use a size 6 or 8 Aberdeen hook, 6 pound test (lighter if I could get away with it), and no float this time of year here. Split shot an inch or two above the hook. I fish the bottom and watch the rod tip for takes. I believe that fish can see line better in colder water so I like the lighter line especially during the colder months.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Brim and Bluegill

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman View Post
    What's your typical set up for busting bream on the bottom this time of the year. Line size, hook size, weight, slip floats, multiple hooks on a line, etc., etc.? With all the Monday's and Friday's I have off work from now till April I'm planning on getting some hooks, weights, etc. and try some bream during the daytime. No maggots around here to buy....will just have to go with crawlers.
    I use a floating spider in white, black, or orange pantern. These are floating flies. I'm fly fishing.