Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xpress xp16pf Stick Steer .. is a Yamaha 40 /4 Stoke enough engine?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Xpress xp16pf Stick Steer .. is a Yamaha 40 /4 Stoke enough engine?

I've started looking into Stick Steer boats again and was wondering if anyone is running the 16' Xpress Stick Steer Panfish model w/ a 40 H.P. 4 Stroke Yamaha?

And if so do you find it enough engine, or, would you go with a 50 hp if you had to do it over?

It seems like quite a few of the used ones I'm seeing have 40's on them.

I normally fish alone 99.9% of the time and weigh 200 lbs., wife may come along once in a blue moon and she weighs about 135.
    I don't usually fish rough/big waters but do fish a Coastal Sound sometimes where I may have to out run a storm in a hurry on occasion so I'm wondering if I'd be alright with a 40 on this boat.

I'm guessing the 40 would probably get me about 30 mph when I'm alone with a WOT, and that's fast enough for me.

Appreciate any input you may have.

Thanks,
    YB

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a 16' with little interior and a 25 and it would do 22 mph alone on a light chop. I believe a 40 is plenty of motor, and can't remember seeing a 50 on one that wasn't fiberglass. I like the boat I have now but wish I still had my stick boat back. Very comfortable for a solo to fish from. Just my 2 cents.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Clint, Yankee Bill, Cane Pole LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If you dont get any first hand answers here try posting this on the Georgia and Louisiana board. Several on each run these boats. Louisiana might be a tad preoccupied at the moment but worth asking on there.
    Likes Yankee Bill LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know anything about stick steer boats ... but, I've always been of the opinion that you buy the biggest motor allowed for whatever boat you buy. You don't "have" to run it WOT all the time, but it's nice to have the max speed when needed. The max HP the boat is rated for is usually the HP needed to get the maximum performance from the boat ... in WOT speed, cruising speed, gas efficiency, and getting on plane quickly/easily.

Many times the "package deals" have a smaller HP motor than the max rating, simply as a selling point (less $$$).
    Likes Yankee Bill, 20watt LIKED above post

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I ALSO TEND TO GO WITH THE MAX. AMOUNT OF HPR. ALLOWED .

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate the input guy's. Yes, I'd like to get one with a 50 on it as that is the max hp. for the boat. But a couple of problems I'm having is -

1.) We just bought the wife a new $30,000 car last month, so that leaves me looking for a used boat for now , and most of them seem to have 40's on them.

2.) My biggest problem is lack of inventory in my area. I'm in the Virginia Beach area and Stick Steer boats are scarce as hens teeth around here. Most are a several hour drive away when they do pop up.

But I'm gonna keep looking, I don't mind driving several hrs. for the right boat if I have to.

Thanks again for the input.

YB

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

YES

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tenncrappie View Post
    YES
    Thanks. Do you have one? Would you care to elaborate a little?

Post Thanks / Like

Default SS

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Bill View Post
    I've started looking into Stick Steer boats again and was wondering if anyone is running the 16' Xpress Stick Steer Panfish model w/ a 40 H.P. 4 Stroke Yamaha?

And if so do you find it enough engine, or, would you go with a 50 hp if you had to do it over?

It seems like quite a few of the used ones I'm seeing have 40's on them.

I normally fish alone 99.9% of the time and weigh 200 lbs., wife may come along once in a blue moon and she weighs about 135.
    I don't usually fish rough/big waters but do fish a Coastal Sound sometimes where I may have to out run a storm in a hurry on occasion so I'm wondering if I'd be alright with a 40 on this boat.

I'm guessing the 40 would probably get me about 30 mph when I'm alone with a WOT, and that's fast enough for me.

Appreciate any input you may have.

Thanks,
    YB
    I'm on my 3rd SS(little newer and bigger upgrades) and really like them. I have a Tracker PF17(one of few made) with a 40 Merc. and runs a little over 30 mph. Plenty fast for me.
    Likes Yankee Bill, zig zag LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The News-Star | Boat
    MUST SEE, 2008 16 FT EXPRESS BOAT, 50HP YAMAHA, 2-STROKE, W/TM, DF, LIVE WELL AND STICK STEER. HAS CARPET AND ALUM TRAILER W/SPARE., $7800.00. (318)235-3502 Monroe, La Todays paper

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast