Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most Fuel Efficient Boat Motors?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Most Fuel Efficient Boat Motors?

I'm hoping to upgrade with a new(er) boat and motor before long. I'd like to upgrade to a 19 or 20 footer. Fuel efficiency with ample power is what I'm looking for. I don't need a rocket ship, but would like to be able to run at least 50 mph. Can anybody recommend a suitable motor for a boat this size? Thanks for any help.

Crappieranger
    You don't know if you don't go.

Post Thanks / Like

For years I had a 150 Johnson and it was a great motor. It loved gas but was a very good motor. When I got my new boat a few months ago, it had a 150 optimax. This engine does not use 25% of the gas the Johnson did. I am very pleased with this motor and would recomend it to any one.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Go look at the new E-tech motors. Better fuel milage, less weight, no need for service for 3 years. Look at them long and hard.

I have a 150 Yamaha if you want to buy. I'll buy a 200 E-tech.
    Klipsch Speakers
    Crestron
    Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

The newer direct injection motor are better on fuel than the older ones, but they are still pigs. You have to run a lot of hours to make up the difference in price.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 22 foot Ranger with a 225 OptiMax. The boat is pretty heavy and will run 56mph on gps at 5600 rpms. Fuel consumption is right at 23 gallons per hour at wide open according to the SmartCraft display. I've never ran it wide open for an hour so I'm not sure. My partner has a 300 HPDI Yamaha on his 22 footer and its worse than mine which is to be expected, problem is its way worse. Have to put gas in his rig twice as often as mine. Friend has 225 E-Tec on a 21 foot Ranger, and we haven't determined how good or bad it is. But I can say that I finally heard of the first E-Tec blowing, had 2.4 hours on it. Let go at 76 mph with the dealer driving! Pleasant ride back with the new owner!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. Does anybody know of any websites that list and compare boat motors and fuel consumption?

crappieranger
    You don't know if you don't go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IwishIdid
    I have a 22 foot Ranger with a 225 OptiMax. The boat is pretty heavy and will run 56mph on gps at 5600 rpms. Fuel consumption is right at 23 gallons per hour at wide open according to the SmartCraft display. I've never ran it wide open for an hour so I'm not sure. My partner has a 300 HPDI Yamaha on his 22 footer and its worse than mine which is to be expected, problem is its way worse. Have to put gas in his rig twice as often as mine. Friend has 225 E-Tec on a 21 foot Ranger, and we haven't determined how good or bad it is. But I can say that I finally heard of the first E-Tec blowing, had 2.4 hours on it. Let go at 76 mph with the dealer driving! Pleasant ride back with the new owner!
    20 mph faster? 1 ft shoter? that's a lot. Might need to reprop on that rig that blew. But the dealer got it replaced????
    Klipsch Speakers
    Crestron
    Dealer

Andrus Cove, La. (between Lake Arthur & Jennings)
    Post Thanks / Like

I recently bought a 90hp Optimax to replace my 60hp Yamaha. The Optimax is much cheaper to run than the Yamaha.

Warren
    The postings on this site by me, Marshrat, are opinion only unless specified as truth. I will not be held responsible for anyone using my opinions as an aliby to keep from getting in trouble with the law.:D

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Suzuki 4-stroke (140hp, but they do make smaller models) and get about 6-8 mpg depending on how hard I run it. When I had my 2-stroke I estimated that I got less than 1mpg. Some of the newer 2-strokes are more fuel efficient, but in my mind they're still 2-strokes. I'm sold on the 4-stroke technology and it seems Suzuki has figured it out.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Morris
    I use a Suzuki 4-stroke (140hp, but they do make smaller models) and get about 6-8 mpg depending on how hard I run it. When I had my 2-stroke I estimated that I got less than 1mpg. Some of the newer 2-strokes are more fuel efficient, but in my mind they're still 2-strokes. I'm sold on the 4-stroke technology and it seems Suzuki has figured it out.
    I agree with Darryl. The four strokes are a lot better on gas. There is not as much hole shot unless you get the verado. my next motor will be a 4 stroke. Much more reliable too. No mixing gas or worrying about oil injection. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast