Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Report; 8/17/16

Post Thanks / Like

Default Report; 8/17/16

It's been over 3 weeks since Walt & I have wet a line! Air temps have been way too hot for us, along with oppressive humidity. "When I was young and in my prime....." Well, I'm not young anymore. But I do enjoy crappie fishing immensely. So, today being predicted to be up in the 80's, as opposed to the 90's, we decided to give it a go.

We launched around 7:20 this morning and quit at 12:20 pm (a solid 5 hours of fishing). At the start, the air temp was 73 degrees with the water at 77. When we pulled off the air was getting well up into the 80's. However, we had a great stiff breeze/wind all morning long for a change. A welcomed relief for our method of drifting jigs.

Ended up with 75 fish for the 5 hr. period; only 8 were bluegill with the rest being our target species, the crappie. Walt & I were pretty even with our catching, using two rods each while drifting. We tried Roadrunners, Sliders, Jokers, LF Shads and regular straight tails. We caught the majority of our fish on the venerable, run-of-the-mill straight tails however. I gotta admit, I'm impressed with the Lake Fork straight tail shads. These plastics performed right from the git-go. Drawback was the expense of them along, with their fragile make up. Got bit in half quite a few times. Not good from an R.O.I. standpoint.

The BGBS's & SP Stinger Shads outperformed everything today. And I'll let you in on a little secret: (SHHHH!) the pink shad with chartreuse tail was an absolute killer! We didn't catch any really big crappie today, but they were decent and a heck of a lot more fun than sitting on the couch in front of the boob tube! Here is what the water looked like during the majority of our drifts. White caps from time to time as well:

Name:  Stiff Wind.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  58.8 KB

And here are a few of our fish, starting with scraggly ole' me, which I would classify as average:

Name:  Rich_1.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  88.9 KB

Name:  Walt_1.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  95.8 KB

Name:  Rich_2.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  95.8 KB

A fine morning of fishing by any standard (IMO!). We twice watched an eagle snatch a fish from the surface of the water too! Really neat! On the drive out, we saw a black bear cub crossing the road and a bit before that, a couple of raccoons. I love it when it all comes together!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes crappiebob LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job crestliner! Love your reports and pics!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good day to me! Glad you guys braved the heat and got back to drifting.
    Yes, I was talking to myself; sometimes even I have to ask for expert advice.