Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What the best handheld gps for the money?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What the best handheld gps for the money?

I know this has been discussed before but when I search gps it gives me "sorry no matches". I'm mostly looking for a unit to measure my speed while longlining. I bought a speed sensor for my boat but it doesn't register at times when I'm drifting or going real slow. I know technology is changing rapidly and what was great 6 months ago is just average today. Any recommedations?

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

My son heard i was wanting a GPS and he found the garmin 72 at walmart for 75.00 it showed it was normally 134.00 he bought me one for Christmas and it works great for showing speed. Everyone else will tell you the the garmin 76 map is alot better unit, but if you just want the speed feature and waypoints the 72 works great. It doesnt have all the features the 76 has and it has less memory.http://www.gpsdiscount.com. is a good place to look at them and compare the different units and theyhave all the accessories you'll need.
    MT.DEW AND JP8 IN THE MORNING GETS THE BLOOD FLOWING.

Post Thanks / Like

I too have a GPS 72 and am very happy with it. Doesn't have the maps but it will get you back to your spots and give you your speed. I use it to troll bandits with the speed function on the point page. I just saw one at my local Walmart for $75 also.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Lowrance IFinder H2O and like it a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

ALL of the handheld, consumer grade, units do the same thing with respect to determining location coordinates. So that leaves you with deciding how much you are willing to pay for the features you must have. Very important considerations include: amount of memory, size of display screen, size etc.

Consider these factors:
    1.) If you intend to use the GPS for hunting (in unfamiliar areas), or expect to get fogged in fishing, or ever get lost on the highway, then I'd urge you to consider a model with maps. Seeing waypoints of your 'honey-holes' on a lake map trumps a blank screen every time.

I have and use a Map76 and like it, but the Map60 has more memory and nice sized display - and will do anything you want. The Map76 has a nice big display but has less memory and not as ruggedized as the Map60. Both accept an external antenna (very necessary for use in a vehicle, small plane, or under forest canopy)

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60/

I work for a state agency and we have several of these units. They are great but will run about $200.

2. If you ONLY want speedometer readout and to save waypoints and tracklogs of where you've been, then buy the cheapest model available. Again, they all do the same with regard to location details and nearly all of them store a ton of waypoints. Having said that, many folks who buy the basic models get disillusioned with its lack of 'visual connection' and regret not buying one with maps.

With regard to the basemaps *in models with maps* : the installed basemap is pretty decent; the Mapsource Topographic Maps detail (hills, creeks, etc.) will be okay if you buy it and is a good $100 investment if you travel to several parts of the U.S. since it covers all 50 states. They may not be up-to-date with regard to newer roads and other features. As for Garmin's Fishing Hotspots maps for the map units, I'd say they are poor - but for some lakes they may be fine. Most small COE reservoirs show absolutely no detail.

The factors that have always been the most important to me were
    1. Maps (topos) - MUST HAVE. Seeing your waypoints on a topo map is vital unless you live in a totally flat area, like Mississippi - i.e. no relief.
    2. Large display (with backlight) - *really* important
    3. Enough memory to hold all topos for the entire state of KY.
    4. Ease of carry & use and *ruggedized* for field use. I think that most of them are waterproof.
    5. Accepts external antenna.

So the choice comes down to spending ~$75-100 for a speedometer or spending another hundred and getting a model that will be your 'eyes' when you're lost in the woods, fogged in, or just seeing all the coves and creeks of a lake. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

E Trex Legend.
    Fish on!:D

3 Bald Stooges of Percy Priest Lake - Co Founder

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Lowrance H2O and love it. check out www.tigergps.com
    2018 Triton 18TX 115 ProXS 4 Stroke
    4-HDS 9 Touch
    ACC CRAPPIE STIX

Post Thanks / Like

Lowrance H2Oc.........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Gpsmap 76
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

GPSmap76S

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast