Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjust a Bubble ?

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Adjust a Bubble ?

Anybody used these for crappie or 'gills. Just bought some but have not tried them out yet. Should be great to get small lures deep.

Name:  bubble.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  1.8 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverside View Post
    Should be great to get small lures deep.
    That's not what they're for. The bubble floats. It's used to cast flies with a spinning rod.
    Likes theygotaeat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Agree! And the line going from the bobber toward your bait/jig is at the fat end, not the skinny end. They work great.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes silverside LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I caught my first crappie using something similar around 1960. My dad rigged my zebco outfit with an egg shaped casting bubble that could be filled with water for casting distance and to make it sink. The lure was a Go Getter. Had a shiny metal head with red & white feathers secured inside the body with plaster of paris. Big old bulky thing compared to today's offerings. He told me cast that out and count to ten and reel in real slow. The first cast I was just about reeled in when I felt the light bite and caught my first crappie. I can't remember if I caught anymore but I sure remember that one. Looks like that bubble would work also if it holds enough water to sink it.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree those are used to cast light baits without spooking the fish. The ones I've used you could fill with water to add weight and match different water colors.

Post Thanks / Like

it is made so that you can fill it with water and cast very light lures. then it acts as a floater or strike indicator.
    Crappie bite twice a day. 15 minutes before I get there and 10 minutes after I leave.
    The two loudest sounds are a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and one that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.
    If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can generally count on Paul's vote.
    Likes theygotaeat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use them so I can adjust the flotation so it - JUST BARELY - floats making the drag very small when the fish are finicky.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The ones I have will sink depending on how mush water is in it. I have had it down 5 feet so far. With a 2 foot leader that gets your 1/32 jig down 7 feet. With less water it raises or floats.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverside View Post
    The ones I have will sink depending on how mush water is in it. I have had it down 5 feet so far. With a 2 foot leader that gets your 1/32 jig down 7 feet. With less water it raises or floats.

So why use the bubble? You can easily fish a 1/32 jig at that depth without the bubble. If you want to suspend it at 7', why not use a float?

I guess I don't understand what you're trying to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Well it lets you cast a tiny jig a lot further with the weighted bubble, but I just put a split shot ahead of my small jigs to get them out and down. More than one way to skin a cat I suppose.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast