Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shrimp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shrimp

I have heard many people talk about using tiny shrimp as bait, so the wife and I bought some this morning to try out. Well, I'm guessing that the tiny shrimp in the can isn't what people were talking about. They won't stay on the hook. They go on, but crumble. Im guessing they were talking about the frozen shrimp?? Ended up using nearly every jig in the box, plus tipping with wax worms and still no luck. The water was 86, guessing it just too hot for them to eat. Oh and I figured out how to tell what the thermocline was on the finder. Thanks CDC!!

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

They still gotta eat , we catch them here with surface temps in low 90 's . Grass Shrimp (freshwater) can be found some places .
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

About the same temps as many of our lakes up here in KY ... and people are still catching good amounts of fish. The crankbait draggers got game in these heated waters, and many lakes have a very defined thermocline that lessens the amount of water the fish have to hide in.

I agree with NIMROD, that Freshwater Shrimp was likely the subject you read about, but I don't recall reading anything about them being used as bait in Tenn. I've mostly heard about them being used in Fla & Louisiana.

Congrats on getting a thermocline to show on your depth finder ... now, speed up your presentation and keep it just above the depth of the thermocline, and you should start catching some fish. (find the baitfish pods, that's where the fish are likely to be)
    Likes Nutbush, NIMROD LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nutbush View Post
    I have heard many people talk about using tiny shrimp as bait, so the wife and I bought some this morning to try out. Well, I'm guessing that the tiny shrimp in the can isn't what people were talking about. They won't stay on the hook. They go on, but crumble. Im guessing they were talking about the frozen shrimp??
    Buy whole, raw, unpeeled shrimp at a grocery store. Do not peel them. Cut them into pieces to fit your hook.

Catfish and bream love 'em. Never tried them for crappie.
    Likes Nutbush LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I know lots of people like to troll cranks in summer and yes it does produce well but I'm kinda the opposite as to where I like to slow troll minners and have good success that way as well..
    Likes Nutbush LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Shrimp are the original nibbles. We cut sections about 1/4" thick and tip a jig for saltwater fish and hybrids in fresh. Have to try em for crappie, see no reason why they wouldn't work for crappie
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

We use them on Yellow Perch in Lake Michigan.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

Most are talking about grass shrimp. They are scooped from grass in many freshwater lakes and are maybe an inch long. They are great baits for crappie and other panfish.

Post Thanks / Like

They catch a lot of rainbow and brown trout too

Post Thanks / Like

We use frozen cocktail shrimp ,frozen salad shrimp , fresh bait shrimp and do in fact ketch a few crappie this way . Most of the time we are not using it to actually ketch crappie but hey everything eats shrimp
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast