Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Slow bite last night

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slow bite last night

I squeezed in another trip to the pond last night before this hot, humid weather returns here to CT. Launched around 5:15 with high hopes of landing a good number of fish for the freezer. 1st fish was a doggone pickerel, just about legal length of 15". I don't know how he did it but I spent over 10 minutes trying to get him unhooked from the jig and out of my net. Ended up cutting the net to get him out; what a slimy mess I was by the time he went back overboard. Flat just ticked me off by the time it was over............the net is over 20 years old anyway but still giving good service. I think I have a replacement string net for it but if not, it may be time for a new rubber one that gets less tangled but that's a question for another day.

Anyway, what few crappie I boated had nice size to them, all 6 were 11-12". A couple of short bass rounded off the catch and that was it. When the sun went down, so did the action, which I found very surprising. The keepers all came by around 6:15 or so and that was with various lures and multiple stops down the shady weed line in my search for active fish. The hot lure last night was a blue with silver flake GB Baby shad; the pickerel came on the Patriot color, along with one little pickerel that thankfully got off before I got him to the boat.

We'll have to see how the weather plays out before I head over there again. Some hot days I'm up for an evening trip and some I'm just looking for the AC.

Anyway, fish for dinner tonight!
    Yes, I was talking to myself; sometimes even I have to ask for expert advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Great job out there! Way too hot for me to think about getting out. Maybe next week.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."