Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: painted vs unpainted heads

Post Thanks / Like

Default painted vs unpainted heads

Is there any difference in catching fish that you guys that have used both have noticed? I do not have any unpainted heads and was wondering if it really makes any difference or not. Colors I use now are: white/chartreuse,white,black,chartreuse,pink,red,and orange.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never seen it make a difference. I've got a mix of colors myself but the unpainted heads are starting to outnumber the painted ones in my boxes
    Likes theygotaeat, DaveB40, NIMROD LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I catch a ton of fish on unpainted heads
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944
    Likes theygotaeat, Crestliner08, DaveB40 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I see no difference between them, I've ended up fishing mostly unpainted.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team
    Likes theygotaeat, DaveB40 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Before I started making my own plastics and jig heads. I went fishing off a pier (saltwater} Using 2" curly tailed grubs and some painted jig heads. I caught so many fish people would ask me what I using. I was using a pearl white jig head and the baits were not the same colors. Well I lost that jig head and put on black one and made at least 20 cast and no hits. Took off the black jig and put on a yellow and started getting fish again. To this day I won't use black jig heads. Does color matter, No until the days it does.
    Likes shipahoy41, DaveB40, Fatman, 20watt LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

99.9 % of the time no difference detectable for me. I usually fish unpainted... but I will put a painted one with eyes on in a heartbeat painted vs unpainted heads
    Likes DaveB40 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I MOSTLY USE UNPAINTED JIGS,BUT AT TIMES PAINTED ONE ARE MUCH BETTER,A GOOD TIME IN WINTER IS A PINK JIG HEAD,DON'T KNOW WHY BUT IT DOES,HAD WIFE TO BEAT ME IN ANOTHER GUY WITH HER PINK SO BAD THAT BOTH OF US HAD TO GO TO PINK TO KEEP UP,HER 3 PLUS LB IN FEB WAS ON PINK WHEN SHE WAS TEARING US UP,SEE IT MORE IN COLD WEATHER THAN ANY OTHER TIME, I HEAR PEOPLE ON BOTH SIDES SAY YES AND OTHERS SAY NO WHICH I USE TO SAY,BUT AGAIN HAVE SEEN IT TOO OFTEN TO DENY THAT AT TIMES IT MAKES A LOT OF DIFFERENT,JUST LIKE DIFFERENT COLOR PLASTIC,BUT YOU ARE WELCOME TO BE HARDED JUST LIKE I WAS.STILL MOST OF THE TIME I AM GOING WITH PLAIN HEADS
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

I think sometimes the jighead color can make a difference and other times it don't seem to matter at all.Kinda like using different color plastics,some days a certain color or two will just be killing them and you can't hardly get bit on others colors and other times they will hit any color seemly the same.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the painted heads shine when water clarity is poor and you are giving them more contrast or visibility. That being said I think it is more about the lure type and where you are throwing it than anything else.

I think that the unpainted heads work well when using a shad color since you get a little flash and it has that silvery baitfish look to it. So in clearer water when using your whites and clears then don't worry about using a particular color head.

Post Thanks / Like

I use painted and unpainted jig heads but for a different reason. I put together a powder painting set-up and paint about half of my jig heads. I buy 1/64, 1/32, 1/16 & 1/8 oz. unpainted jigs from a local supplier. I powder paint some of the jigs which adds to the weight of the jig. So I now have 8 different weights of jigs instead of just 4. Not surprisingly there are times when I want to speed up the fall of the jig just a little bit so I will go to the same jig but with paint on it. Conversely I can slow the fall by going down in weight one step to an unpainted one.

And it gives me something to do on those freezing winter days when I just can not bring myself to get out there to fish.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast