Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Some of you experts!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Some of you experts!

Some of you experts! What’s the water temperature before the male crappie start moving into the shallows? Then what’s the temperature before the females start to spawn?
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default crappie spawn

This article might answer most of your questions.
    http://www.crappie.com/bruce/article4.htm
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an exert from a recent article I wrote that might help answer your question:

Water temperature is another factor that will influence not only movement but also location. In general, extreme water temperatures, the very cold (50 degrees and colder) and the very warm (80 degrees and warmer) cause crappie to move into deeper water. And, when the water temperature is between 50 and 80, they can be found in the mid-range and shallow depths. Just like a change in water level causes crappie to move, it is the change in water temperature that triggers movement. Falling temperatures in winter and rising temperatures in summer move the crappie deeper. Rising temperatures in spring and falling temps in autumn move the crappie shallower. These are the norms and by no means dictate where the crappie will be. It is important that you scout fish different depths in all seasons and water temperatures.

Here’s an example that I personally experienced several years ago before I started guiding. It was late winter and I knew the crappie would start making their move to the shallows soon. All I had to do was, watch the water temperature and follow them. I was determined to be the first on the lake to catch crappie in shallow water that year. Week one, the surface temp is 49. Week two, the surface temp is still 49. As the weeks past, the temp slowly climbed. After about 6 or more weeks the surface temperature of the water in the main part of the lake had finally reached 58 or 59. Okay, now’s the time. The crappie should be moving into the shallows, making their beds and getting ready to spawn. So, here I go, weaving in and out of stumps, avoiding sandbars to check the shallows. When I get there the water temperature is 69 teetering on 70. What?! I almost missed the entire spawn and definitely didn’t catch the first crappie moving into the shallows.

I learned a whole wealth of useful things from that experience. First, the change in water temperature in the main body of the lake, even a degree or two, had hastened the crappie to move. In this case, they probably weren’t in the very shallow spawning areas yet, but they were moving toward them when the water temp rose from 49 to 51. They moved and I didn’t. Second, there can be a huge difference in water temperature between the main body of water and the shallow water of the spawning flats and coves. During late winter, the sun is rising and setting in the southern hemisphere. This causes the northwest portions of the spawning flats and coves to receive more sunlight than other areas thus warming faster. When I was still fishing the deeper waters of the main channel, the water temp was in the low 50’s, the staging areas in mid-range depths just outside the spawning coves were in the mid-50’s and the spawning waters had already warmed into the low 60’s. And last, I should have been scouting the shallows and staging beds watching the water temperature from the very start and not just sitting in the middle of the lake waiting for a magical number. Checking the water temperature in all parts of the lake will paint a clearer picture of where the crappie might be and where they might be going. Don’t get in a rut. One study conducted on the Blood River portion of Kentucky Lake in 2004 showed the crappie stayed in 8 to 10 foot of water when the water temp entered 80 degrees and more. This is outside the norm, but not a problem if you’re constantly scouting.

The whole article and others are at http://www.familyfishingtrips.com/News.htm Just remember, the surface temp of the lake isn't the same everywhere and when you can find the right temps with cover and some food source you're going to be in the fish.
    Last edited by Darryl Morris; 02-14-2007 at 11:24 AM.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Darryl just what i was looking for

Post Thanks / Like

Structure fishing 101: "The fish are deep, shallow or migrating in-between at all times".

Post Thanks / Like

Question Blacks Or Whites?

Quote Originally Posted by westsam
    Some of you experts! What’s the water temperature before the male crappie start moving into the shallows? Then what’s the temperature before the females start to spawn?
    thanks
    I don't know where you're from but here in Ky Lake the Black Crappie will move up a little before the White Crappie do. The Black Crappie seem to prefer a little clearer & cooler water.
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westsam
    Thanks Darryl just what i was looking for

Something else to remember westam. When the fish start doing the shallow water thing in the spring dont get discouraged if your out there in the morning fishing your shallow water spots. The water will be a little cool in the morning alot of times, just hang around till about noon and they will turn on like a light switch as the water warms through the day. I've watched many folks fish a spawning flat early in the morning and leave it around 9: 00 am because they are not catching many fish. I will fish in little deeper water and much slower in the morning waiting for the water to start warming. when it starts warming through the 60 s I will ease up to the more shallow cover and start cracking them. Just somthing to think about

Note: My home lake has muddy water in spring wich warms faster and more during the day. Clear water is slower reacting
    Biguns only:D

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web...?masterId=9879

Download Episode Five by right clicking on it and selecting "Save Target As" or go to ITunes.