Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 5" GPS/Sonar Screen

Post Thanks / Like

Default 5" GPS/Sonar Screen

I have a question for you guys who are using the 5" diagonal GPS mapping screens (like the 520C or the 332C). Do you find that the screen is too small for the purpose of viewing detailed maps?

I recently purchased a Lowrance GlobalMap 5200C and I'm not sure I like the small screen. I have an Eagle 480 and a Lowrance LMS-510C with 5" screens and it's not a problem with them, but they are just sonars.

I really think a combo unit with a 7" screen like the Lowrance LCX-27 would be a better way to go. Also, the money spent on the Lowrance LCX-27 is the same as the 5200C and the 510C combined.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
    deep-v
    Last edited by deep-v; 02-14-2007 at 09:47 AM.
    GO STEELER'S!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deep-v
    I have a question for you guys who are using the 5" diagonal GPS mapping screens (like the 510C or the 332C). Do you find that the screen is too small for the purpose of viewing detailed maps?

I recently purchased a Lowrance GlobalMap 5200C and I'm not sure I like the small screen. I have an Eagle 480 and a Lowrance LMS-510C with 5" screens and it's not a problem with them, but they are just sonars.

I really think a combo unit with a 7" screen like the Lowrance LCX-27 would be a better way to go. Also, the money spent on the Lowrance LCX-27 is the same as the 5200C and the 510C combined.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
    deep-v
    My Lowrance LCX17M has a 7" screen and it's big enough to read the enhanced lake maps I downloaded from Lowrance. I use the split screen when I'm trolling but I have it mounted the on grab rail over my console so I am real close to it. I rotate it to face the front when I'm crappie fishing and then I'm about 7-feet from it so I use the full screen for sonar.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have a lcx15 on my dash and the split screen is lage enough for trolling and running and when casting or vertical jigging I use full screen and leave it on so the person in back can see what he's fishing. On the bow I use a 102c and this seems to work reel good. The only thing is I wish I would of put a unit with GPS on the bow also. I'll probley up grade this to a GPS unit in the fall and sell the 102c.

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Screens

Cane Poles Got The Right Ideal ---laptop Is The Way To Go --but It Takes A Lot Of Smarts For That
    The Older You Get [like Me] The Larger Screen You Need-- I Don,t Like Combo Units So I,ve Ordered The 510c And 5300c
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I Don,t Like Combo Units So I,ve Ordered The 510c And 5300c
    Frank,

I went to Cabelas this past friday night and bought the 510C and the 5200C. I really like the units but I'm not sure that I like the small screen on the 5200C. My opinion might change once I get out on the water with it, but that's gonna be a while. We are snowed/iced in, and I usually don't get the boat back on the water until sometime in march.

As far as the laptop goes, I like the idea, and I do have the smarts to get it done. But IMO, a laptop would be useless in the rain.
    GO STEELER'S!

Post Thanks / Like

The 510C and the 5200C went back to Cabelas yesterday and I got a 27C instead. The screen is bigger and the combo unit won't take up as much room in the boat as the 2 seperate units would.
    GO STEELER'S!

Post Thanks / Like

I have no problem viewing my 332C using split screen GPS/sonar. It sits about 2 feet away from me when I'm at the console. My 27C is about 3 feet away when I'm at the bow. Of sourse, I like the 27C better because of the larger screen. The split screen mode on either is great when you are approaching a brush pile.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award