Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Friday night fishing 8-5

Post Thanks / Like

Default Friday night fishing 8-5

I told myself yesterday morning that come Hell or high water, I was going fishing after work and I did, back over to my quick access water. I launched about 5pm, not much wind, just enough to ruffle the surface and provide a cooling breeze. I rowed over to what would soon be the shady shoreline and anchored up so I could work the first portion of the weed line. I started with the BG Patriot colored baby shad, casting and working it back with a lift/let drop lift again rhythm. 3rd cast, bam, hard hit and powerful sprint by an average bluegill. In to the cooler he went as I expected more before the night was out. A few casts later, another hit, not as hard this time and the fight was non-existent. Upon landing this monster, I admitted to myself that this might be a personal worst in my crappie fishing.

I sure hoped they'd be getting bigger and not smaller after this one....and they did! Just a cast or 2 later........

Over the next hour or so, I boated a total of 11 calico's, 9-11" long, no real braggers just typical size for this pond. Every one came on the Patriot color. As the bite slowed I tried other colors and presentations with no luck at all.

I'd had big clouds coming in but they weren't storm clouds, sort of a mini-front. When they packed in, the bite shut right off which surprised me, I figured the drop in light would increase the crappie bite. This little front lasted perhaps 15-20 minutes and when it cleared, boy did the wind pick up, enough that I gave it just a bit longer and called it a night. My boat is very flat bottomed and the wind plays havoc with it and when its dragging me with both anchors out it's time to go.

Later, as I was cleaning them, I was noticing what a meaty fish a 10 - 11" crappie is. Tucked them all away this morning for a tasty winter meal. My family really likes them so I'm happy to break my back catching them to keep my ladies happy!

Ken
    Yes, I was talking to myself; sometimes even I have to ask for expert advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent job out there. Nothing wrong with those crappie.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Nice
    And with that, I'll see you on the water...
    John
    Remember to take your kids fishn'