Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forgot the battery today, but fishing as good as yesterday even with no sonar or tm

Post Thanks / Like

Default Forgot the battery today, but fishing as good as yesterday even with no sonar or tm

Can't believe I left the charge battery at home! That meant a lot of rowing and guessing depth from memory. But one thing about not having sonar is casting to areas shallow and deep I probably wouldn't have, as well as staying longer is areas rather than back troll too fast away from them. Granted, it was a pain to use the anchor more to prevent drifting away from areas I found fish in, but that's the price I had to pay when rewarded with 8 of so fish in the same spots - shallow and deep.

The only thing I couldn't find was the mid lake hump which held fish last week, but other areas proved decent with a lot more to check out in the days that follow.

Advantages:
    I needed the exercise; the boat was much lighter without the battery and tm and easy to get up to a tm speed of 2 or 3 with the wind. I usually row most of the day anyway to preserve battery power and then use the tm on the way back or at full speed if I hear thunder. The tm also helps back trolling into the wind to maintain position, but not crucial.

I may leave the tm home and take the sonar with a small motorcycle battery like I do at a local lake too weedy to use a tm.

Sometimes a bit of good comes from a bad start. At least the fishing was decent after 10 am.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I woulda went back home. Too much work to ro ro row a boat.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you! The first sonar I had was a Lowrance "Green Box" flasher. And I thought I had died and went to heaven! What a marvelous tool. Sonars have come a long way since then, but nothing can equal experience on the water. We did just fine without all the gadgets and widgets in the early days, and what you've just done is proven that we still can do it!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes "G", Rees Guide LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    Good for you! The first sonar I had was a Lowrance "Green Box" flasher. And I thought I had died and went to heaven! What a marvelous tool. Sonars have come a long way since then, but nothing can equal experience on the water. We did just fine without all the gadgets and widgets in the early days, and what you've just done is proven that we still can do it!
    Yep...I started with a green box Lowrance used two 6 volt lantern batterys
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes Rees Guide LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Mine was a Humminbird flasher and I got pretty good at deciphering hard from soft bottoms, bait fish and fish to be caught. Still prefer the LCD readout. Might leave the tm home and row around with a lighter boat and not have to concern myself with lifting the motor out before going through stringy weed beds. I do it anyway for small waters.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  worthless_thread_wo_pics.gif
Views: 207
Size:  9.5 KB lol, lol
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I've fished without sonar on my boat and stuck it out but if my trolling motor quit I would be heading home,good job sticking it out and making the best of it!

Post Thanks / Like

When we got light we only use paddles on my lil boat .....but to be sure we have discussed a trolling motor a few times .....lol
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Ya want pictures? you got em!
    Here are shots of my adopted mutts

Name:  Bristol.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  35.3 KBName:  Palin.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  55.6 KB
    Bristol and Palen

Names ring a bell? (only difference is that they're both fixed.)

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good job stickin it out Spoon. I like the critter shots even better. I have one that has the same hair as they do. We find it everywhere. Best Buddies.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast