Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Report; 8/3/16

Post Thanks / Like

Default Report; 8/3/16

After the past couple of weeks at 90 degrees, with rain through this past weekend, we finally saw a window of opportunity to go fishing. Usually around here, after a stormy couple of days, it's usually a bit on the breezy side. Which means a good bite.

Unfortunately, not today! We launched at 7:15 am. Had the first crappie in the boat before 7:30, so things were looking up! Air temp started out in the mid 50's, which quickly escalated into the 80's with the intense sun. Water temp was 75 degrees. We thought this was going to be OK! Just a matter of time before the bite really gets going, right? Wrong!

Started out with some thermal activity causing a slight ripple on the water, but that soon died. And by 8:30 am we were becalmed. And so was the bite! Used straight tails, paddle tails and even a crankbait or two. Just could not get into consistent wind or action and what bites we did have, were very tentative and tough to get hooked up on.

We ended up with 45 crappie & bluegill - almost a 50/50 mix. Just could not get into a decent crappie bite today. Due to the intense heat, we pulled off at noon. Not a really horrible day as far as fishing went, but far below par for us. Hopefully the weather will co-operate over the next few days and we can have some redemption!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Funny how you guys are looking for wind and I'm always looking for calm!

Thanks for posting the details of your trip. I had hoped to get out this afternoon/evening but had to pick my daughter up from work so maybe tomorrow.
    Yes, I was talking to myself; sometimes even I have to ask for expert advice.

Post Thanks / Like

You really ought to try drifting in a stiff breeze. It electrifies the bite and it has proven to be successful over the last several years. Seems like the faster you go, the harder they bite! Which is in direct contrast to what is normally talked about with crappie behavior. I don't know how many times I've read and heard, "when you think you're going too fast, slow down!" Well, I gotta tell ya, it has worked just the opposite for us.

However! Just a fast retrieve, on a calm day, is NOT the same thing. For whatever reason, the wind plays an extremely important part in the success or failure of any trip - at least around here.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

This trip yesterday was our lowest catch of Crappies since the April / May of this year.
    The heat and no breeze combined to make it unbearable and the lack of co-operation of the Crappie led us to throw in the towel and hope for some wind on our next trip. Hopefully next week will bring us more favorable conditions.

Walt