Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jig Tying Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig Tying Question

O.K. i bailed off and bought the nicest jig/fly tying kit cabella's had to offer has all the tools one can imagine...am planning on attending jig tying seminars at crappie camp...Question...What else do i need to bring with me or buy just to tie a jig?.......HELP!!!

HOLD YO HEAD UP MULEY

Post Thanks / Like

For the jigs I know you're going to want to tie, you're going to want some kiptail and bucktail. I've got plenty and don't tie that many jigs. I will give you most of what I have when you get here.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Smile jig tying...

Hey hog, I just started that this winter too. Just like so many things, you just gotta get in there and play with it. As you go you will see things that you need to change OR do to make a better jig. Personal, I like the micro chenille or just tie the hair with thread. Seems like right now the crappie like the jigs with smaller lengths of hair with a touch of flash in them.

Good luck!
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary....for those who don't, no explanation is possible
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

Post Thanks / Like

For me it was alot easier to start out tying with hackle(feathers) instead of hair.But what ever you start out with just hang in there...You will soon get the hang of it!! Good luck to ya....

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up jigs

Quote Originally Posted by ky-slabseeker
    For me it was alot easier to start out tying with hackle(feathers) instead of hair.But what ever you start out with just hang in there...You will soon get the hang of it!! Good luck to ya....
    I started tying jigs just for fun and I really enjoy this hobby.Sometimes you may not be able to tie them according to the book,you may have to experiment a bit, but if you like them and the fish bite them,then you will be satisfied!
    There is a person on this board who ties some beautifl jigs.His post Skiptomylu,,,,Thumpitjigs.com,,,,take a look !
    Last edited by coosajimmy; 02-14-2007 at 08:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I am not sure what kind of jigs you want to tie as their is a ton of material you can get, but you can limit what you spend by deciding on what kind you want. Take a look at my web site and see the jigs you want to tie.

I would think you would want to tie some feather jigs, but then maybe that is just because I like feather jigs best, LOL!

Anyway if you want to tie hackle feather jigs you can get the strung hackle feathers at Barlow's. get you some thread that is close to the same color as the bodies you want to tie. I would recommend 210 denier flat waxed, but get what you want. Any thread less strong is going to give you trouble with it breaking at the exact wrong time.

I have way too much materials, but it's an addiction you have to watch! However I do use these thing I am giving you a link to and I buy some of this stuff from them. I but materials from a lot of places though.

Strung neck hackle feather... http://www.barlowstackle.com/acb/sho...=1743&CATID=61

Thread.... http://www.barlowstackle.com/acb/sho...=1988&CATID=61

Oh here is a link to jig tying materials and you can look through this stuff and see what you want to use... http://www.barlowstackle.com/jig-fishing.html

Hope this helps,

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Kiptail is my favorite next to rabbit them maribou.
    Adding in Flashabou is a great way to add a little something differnt.
    Cheniles are ok too.
    There are so many mediums to tie in a fly or a jig.
    My advice is to find a jig that works for you catching slabs.Then practice tieing that one .Once you get it down try other types.

Post Thanks / Like

Good advice thanks a million....and Morris I will take you up on that because you DO know what i use.

HOLD YO HEAD UP MULEY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hogfaninla
    O.K. i bailed off and bought the nicest jig/fly tying kit cabella's had to offer has all the tools one can imagine...am planning on attending jig tying seminars at crappie camp...Question...What else do i need to bring with me or buy just to tie a jig?.......HELP!!!
    Bring what you think you might want to incorporate into a jig and we will attempt to make one out of it. I'll bring lots of tying items with me so you can see the various things I use. We will have a blast during the seminar. I'm bringing several vises and tools so anyone who wants can join in.

Can't wait! Is it here yet?:rolleyes:
    Jerry Hamon
    Van Alstyne, Texas
    http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w142/texascrappiefisherman/MSKFCPRES_zps568e5f40.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Hogfan,
    I have been tying for years and this is a very good place to learn patterns and basic tying techniques. http://www.flyanglersonline.com/I find a lot of tying material in the wild and the Big Box stores. I usually use craft hair and flasbou for small jigs.Nothing like catching a big ole crappie on your own invention. Good luck!!
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast