Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spincast crappie setup?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spincast crappie setup?

Guys, I am an admitted spincast user. I have never learned anything else, I suppose because I never really felt like it handicapped my fishing. Having said that, I am new to fishing for crappie (never caught one). Can anyone recommend a good spincast setup to chase down slabs? My main rig is a Zebco Z03 on a medium action rod, but I am wondering if I need a ultralight type rod and reel...

Post Thanks / Like

I don't cast for crappie, but I do know those that do use all shorts of rigs from ultralight to medium action. The biggest thing would be what you prefer to use when casting a light jig say 1/16th ounce.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

it depends on how you plann on fishing . like Darryl said anything you are confortable with . i have alwayes used a zebco 33 all the time . for years . i do have some ultry light but they are closed face . i have some of all . just bought 8 crappie seeker reel`s. haven`t tried them yet . going to rig them for troling with a heavy sinker . i have enough reels that i don`t have to retie when i change types of fishing.the ultryl light i use for shooting docks with jigs .don`t do much jig fishing but will try some times when they wan`t bite minnows .
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

We use a 9' pole with an abugarcia reel with 4# line and don't have a lot of problems with getting them where you want them
    MY Daughter My Sailor My Hero
    God bless Them All

Post Thanks / Like

I bought my brother a Zebco Omega for Christmas -- very nice, smooth reel.

Daiwa has several nice models, as does Abu Garcia.

Another option would be to pick up an old Johnson Century off Ebay. That's a classic reel and built to LAST.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the Tread (Rod) and look at GRIZZ's post, great advice.
    1967/68

Post Thanks / Like

You need to check out the Fleuger UL. This is an excellent casting rig for crappie and it doesn't cost much at all. If you want something that last a long time I would definately stay with the Fleuger ultra light.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all - new here.

As a general rule, I like a 7' ultra lite w/ a micro open face spin reel.

My last one was a Shakespear rod and a Shamano reel.

I would use what ever feels best.

Note: I know a lot of guys use a 9-12' rod but I find that I get cramped when trying to fish between me and the end of my pole. JMHO.

Seth

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Morris
    I don't cast for crappie, but I do know those that do use all shorts of rigs from ultralight to medium action. The biggest thing would be what you prefer to use when casting a light jig say 1/16th ounce.
    I use a 7' ML with a 33 platinum and a 11 Platinum have been wanting a Z02 but cant make my self break down and buy one. I also use the slow pull method using a weighted cork. The longer pole allows for longer cast and also better sensitivity feeling the bite. The cork is only used for depth, not bite detection. A constant pull, somedays fast retrieve and somedays slow. This works really well in prespawn conditions in stump fields and flats ranging from 4'-8' deep. I also use 1/16 jig heads with tubes and or solid body grubs. Somedays tipped with minner and somedays tipped with a chartruese Gulp Maggot. This is a really fun and effective way to catch early spring crappie. As a matter of fact they should start biting within the next 2 weeks around here on the flats with the spawn being in the last week or 1 1/2 of March.

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite is a 6'6" G-Loomis light action rod w/ a Shimano Stradic 1000 series reel, but it is a little pricey. For a little less expensive setup I like the Wally Marshall 6' ultralight rod w/ a Shimano Spirex 1000 series. Both work well for me. Mainly casting roadrunners and slider jigs on the above setups.