Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fishing guides

Post Thanks / Like

Default fishing guides

anyone ever use a guide for crappe fishing? I used them for salt water fishing but never thought of using one for fresh water. I was thinking of getting one. could be a way to catch a lot of fish and have fun and maybe learn a bit more so I could catch more on my own, just wandering if anyone else ever done something like that.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if Georgia has guides but Mississippi has them check these out.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/missi...uides-listing/
    Be safe and good luck fishing

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know of any to recommend but I will say to talk with several before deciding which one to use. Make a list of questions to ask and what you expect from the guide. The difference can be day and night. Good luck and enjoy your trip. It can be the best money you ever spent.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

What SB said and make sure you ask the guide if he is willing to teach if your goal is to learn a particular technique. Most are, but there are some whose only goal is to put you on fish. Here on Kentucky Lake we have guides whose specialty is a certain technique and many utilize these guides with the primary function to learn that specialty, rather than actually catching fish.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    What SB said and make sure you ask the guide if he is willing to teach if your goal is to learn a particular technique. Most are, but there are some whose only goal is to put you on fish. Here on Kentucky Lake we have guides whose specialty is a certain technique and many utilize these guides with the primary function to learn that specialty, rather than actually catching fish.
    I totally agree with this statement. The only time I have used a guide for crappie fishing was to learn how to troll crankbaits. I was up front about that with the guide and he was more than OK with that, he spent a lot of time showing me the fundamentals and methods on how to do it. I was also up front with him that the primary lake I fish was also the primary lake he guides on and would it bother him if he came into an area where he took me on the guide trip and I was there fishing. He said no it's not a problem. Since then that has actually happened on a few occasions, I look to see if I think he's guiding and if I think so I pick up and go somewhere else just to be courteous. We've become good friends and I even call him from time to time to see if the fishing is any good at certain locations and he is more than happy to give advise.

Bobby McGaha
    3250 Harrison St. Ste. 300
    Batesville, AR 72501
    870-612-5300

Securities offered through First Allied Securities, Inc., A Registered Broker/Dealer. Member FINRA/SIPC. Advisory services offered through First Allied Advisory Services, Inc. A Registered Investment Adviser.
    Likes Clint LIKED above post

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We went to Lake Grenada this spring to fish. As it was our first trip and we only had 3 days I hired a guide for the first half day. It worked out real good and I would do it again if the opportunity arises. That beats spending the first day searching for fish and not possibly finding them

Post Thanks / Like

yes I have, and it turned into a pretty good friendship

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys for all yaws comments and good advice

Post Thanks / Like

typically guides know the bodies of water they hit real well and many specialize in certain techniques , i would think if you want to learn a certain spot or technique it would be a great investment .
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

DaveB40 is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't try to fish a new lake without one! My fishin' buddy and I get to visit a few more lakes than
    others, so we try to find a local guide to help us learn the best ways to fish and the some of the secrets
    in those lakes. I think a good guide is worth the money we have paid!
    Tight Lines - Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast