Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: quality vs cost

Post Thanks / Like

Default quality vs cost

Being new to this game,it is overwhelming with the equipment choices out there to pick from. My question is,for the average recreational fisherman (non tournament type guy),how much does cost reflect quality? Im currently using the Pflueger Trion and Shimano Sienna reels on Shakespeare Micro Series 7' light action rods. May make the upgrade to something "better" in the future,but what is your guys opinions on where cost and quality are reflected in each other? Namebrands,certain types of equipment,etc. where does the price really start to make the difference?

I know its a pretty subjective question just wanting to know what to look for or not to look for in the future on equipment.Hope my question makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Its hard to beat Pflueger , Shakespeare for the money. You can spend a lot more for not much more.
    Likes silverside LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I can tell the difference between an Ugly Stik and a GLoomis.

That being said, both will catch fish.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

cane pole works fine. No reel required.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes Eagle 1, JET4, Dave and Lynn LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using very inexpensive Quantum rods and reels for the past 15 or 20 years and to me, they are the best bang for the buck. I usually spend less than $60 for a rod and reel combo and they last 5 - 10 years, with lots of use. I fish hard 7 months a year and have virtually no problems with my inexpensive rigs. I honestly don't know when the last time I had to purchase a new one was. I know it's been at least 8 years and they are still going strong.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

ALL MY RODS AND REELS ARE INEXPENSIVE BUT STILL HAVE A GOOD FEEL AND LIGHT,YOU HAVE TO GET AWAY FROM THE AMERICAN MENTALITY OF GOT TO HAVE THE BEST AND MOST EXPENSIVE .I GOT MANY CHEERYWOODS AT LESS THAN 20 BUCKS AND THEY DO A GOOD JOB CASTING AND SHOOTING,SOMETIMES WE THINK TO BUY THE PRO'S ROD WILL MAKE US A PRO,THE REAL KEY TO FISHING IS JUST GOOD STUFF AND THE MOST IMPORTANT IS MASTERING YOUR EQUIPMENT,RODS JIGS AND DEPTHFINDERS,NOT MUCH SHORT CUTS TO ANY OF THESE,TIME ON WATER WITH GOOD CONCETRATION
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8
    Likes NUBSTER, Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

In terms of fishing equipment.. IE rods and reels, I think it really boils down to what YOU like. You go to a store, you pick it up, you play with it, you compare it to others, and make a decision based on YOUR feel. Sometimes the price will surprise you (good and bad). I've seen plenty of over the top (money wise) stuff that I wouldn't let someone pay me to use. On the flip side, I have several great quality reels for a little bit of coin. Rods are more important to me than reels but... you can get a really good rod with great feel for a lot less than you would think. I build my own rods so I'm fortunate.

You can look at rods like this... You drive a Pinto wagon and think it is the best car in the world... it gets you from point A to point B. You have never been in anything else so you really have no comparison. You get the opportunity to drive/own a corvette (insert favorite car) and realize that there really is no comparision. Same with rods.

As for certain Pro's... IF you look closely in their boats, they do not fish with what they have their face or name on.................

Bottom line... fish with what is comfortable for YOU and don't be swayed by what other people tell you is great. Check them out for yourself. I see a lot of information passed around about fishing rods that I wouldn't give 2 dollars for that most guys think are great. The FEEL is everything... As in the FEEL for YOU!!!
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes trypman1, skeetbum, Dollfly, Fatman LIKED above post

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have learned (for my use & from experience) to stay away from most store brands. Always a bad choice for what I expect the quality to be. Also... back before Shimano thought their reels were made of pure gold, I bought 3 Shimano Bantam 100 reels. That was in 1977. I still use all 3. In that time I've worn out 3 boats but the reels keep working like the day I spooled them up. I used to tournament fish for bass. I have some $70 reels that took that kind of punishment just like the $300 reels. Find something that you like for a price that you like. If it proves itself to you, you have found your comfort zone.

Post Thanks / Like

you have good enough equipment in my mid for what you are planning to do . there are some great rods out there that cost under 50 dollars for crappie .....
    and a good reel can be had for the same general numbers as well for the typical fisher person .
    i could take what you currently have and spank the fire right out of them quite easily .
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing wrong with what you have!! Buddy on another board is using the micro series rods and loves them. If they're working and you're getting fish why put out more money.

I have ALWAYS used this buying rule - If it's got some pro's name on it or he says he use's something all the time = it won't ever be in my tackle box or bag. I'm not paying extra just because their name is on it!!!

If you have a favorite reel or one that's really working well for you and you want a new rod - take it with you to try it on different rods. I take mine in with the spool off, check it with customer service and then go try them on rods - I've done it at Wally World and Cabelas.

For me PERSONALLY their is no reel other than Shimano - I have them from the 1980's all the way up to the present and NEVER a problem with them, but that's me not you!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast