Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How would you make these bite?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How would you make these bite?

Here's a couple of pics of fish on my lowrance elite 7di. Usually on my lake locating them is the toughest part. Once an active school is located it's not difficult to catch them. These and several more schools scattered over the lake had a bad case of lockjaw. Never ran into this before. Beginning to doubt my prowess as a lip ripper lol
    Name:  sda1.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  36.5 KBName:  sds2.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  43.5 KB
    Last edited by "D"; 07-31-2016 at 10:43 PM.
    Some folks fish to live. I live to fish
    Likes DaveB40 LIKED above post

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice screen shot's. Can't help you with the bite. I can hardly get a mosquito to bite lately.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both
    Likes Crestliner08, Redge LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're having a problem getting a jig to light them up, try a blade bait. Color matters sometimes so if you can get a 3 pack of cheap ones to start with you might be better off. Jigging spoons is another option I found some images like that once and worked them hard, only to find out they were catfish.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

My first thought is those are not crappie ....not sure what they are but they don't look quite right to me ...lots of fish will "ball" up like that at times though and look deceptively like stacked up crappie .
    We call those ant mounds when we find them and they are typically white bass drum and kitty fish stacked on the bottom , now mind ya there may be crappie in that mix , a slab with a jig about 16 inches above it and bounce it repeatedly off the bottom maybe ?
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes genec, DaveB40 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Some folks waste a lot of time fishing over what they think might be crappie. We tend not to look/target for fish, rather we target whatever small bait balls I can find. Where there's bait, there's crappie. If we hit a ball of bait for a bit and nothing happens, we move on to the next. Or, try drifing or trolling to cover water. Then when you get one and you're marking fish or bait, you know you're in the right spot.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes NIMROD LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The down image looks like it is probably crappie.....but when taking in the 2d in consideration....im with Ketchn, looks like white bass to me from the 2d sonar. This is why I like several different images of the same thing. It allows for a man to get a better idea of whats going on down there.

Post Thanks / Like

Go tiny. Micro jigs in the 1/64 ounce or smaller with soft plastics. Two or four pound line. No weights. Just let your micro jig rig sink as slow as possible into the school of fish. Even if the majority have "lockjaw", this method will almost always produce a fish or two, and will at least verify what species of fish they actually are. And, in most cases, if one or two fish will take that rig, so will a bunch more.
    Name:  DSCN9940.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  43.1 KB
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D
    Likes skeetbum, DaveB40 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

First I'd like to thank everyone for their help. Some great advice. I was thinking maybe they weren't crappie as well. This lake only has crappie perch and cats that school like this. I tried a nightcrawler for a while. Perch and cat will usually bite that. Not a nibble. I then went into shallower water and caught a perch for cut bait. We can't use minnows here so that's the next best thing. I've done well on big crappie in deeper water using it. Not a bite. Well I couldn't stand it. I was sure they were crappie but by now I am doubting there are any in this lake. Knowing I put in enough time and effort that I surely would have caught some if there were lol. I put the camera down just for peace of mind. They are crappie. There are however bait balls around as well. Maybe they are just full of whatever that is. Another thing I saw with the cam was masses of eggs of some kind. I've seen that in the past this time Of year and later. I don't know what kind They are. The local biologist suggested bull frog eggs. I don't believe that tho. These are light colored loose eggs not a solid mass. I can't figure it out. I've heard of bass having a second spawn at times but I can't see how that could be what these are. Their all ways in 20 to 30 ft of water. Any ideas? I give up lol
    Some folks fish to live. I live to fish

Post Thanks / Like

When all else fails. Put a good lively minnow right over the top of their head. Works for me.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

with the technology there is today...the information out there....the number of people who know how to use it...if everybody catches them at will...it will only be a short while before populations are drastically reduced. Hopefully some of us will not be able to catch fish every time they show up on a screen...I know I do my part LOL.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast