Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Got some fishin' in today

Post Thanks / Like

Default Got some fishin' in today

Finished up my Saturday work just after noon; took a look at the weather forecast, checked the maps and loaded up and headed out. Looked like the clouds would be coming in thicker in a couple of hours and hoped the filtered lighting would put the crappie in a biting mood. Headed over the to my easy access water just in case the weather turned nastier than expected I could be off the water quicker.
    Launched around 2PM and fished until 5:15 when the weather looked threatening. I chose to fish the other side of the pond today, along a heavy weed line right on the steep drop off. I goes from 4-5' deep down to 15' right quick along there. I worked along casting to try to locate some active fish and once I hooked my first one (around 8" crappie) I anchored up and got out the poles with slip bobbers. Worked them right at the edge of the lily pad line. One with a minnow tube, the other with a patriot colored stinger shad. I quickly hooked 2 more crappie on the stinger then things slowed right back down again. Worked along a bit more, no more takers.
    Along about 3:30 the clouds thickened even more and things got busier. Using the Patriot color and a blue and white stinger shad, I ended up with 6 crappie, from 8-10" long, one was 11", 2 nice 'gills and a bass.
    While the action was slower than expected, it was good to get out again. Kind of on the small side today, too.

One of the few:

And a peek into my mostly empty cooler:

And I did get home without getting too wet, too. Looking toward home from the pond, I thought it might be raining there. Got about 1/2 a mile from home and things were totally soaked and still raining lightly. Unloaded everything, switched vehicles to get home from where I'm keeping the boat and the heavy rain started just as I pulled in the driveway and didn't let up for an hour and a half. We sure need it so I'm not complaining!
    Yes, I was talking to myself; sometimes even I have to ask for expert advice.
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice report. Great to hear others in this neck of the woods are hitting the Crappie. Have a great day.

Walt

Post Thanks / Like

Great job out there! Wish I could go, but after 8 days of 90+ degree air temps, I'll wait until things moderate. We are finally getting some much needed rain today - thank GOD! Thanks for the report. Only now I'm getting "antsy"!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."