Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod/reel warranties - but there's a catch!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod/reel warranties - but there's a catch!

Dec. last year I bought a Gander Mountain brand reel that had printed on the package, 100 % one year warranty. For years Gander would swap a defective Gander rod or reel no questions asked within the warranty period and sometimes a bit beyond.
    When I got to the register I was told I now had to send the reel back for repair - but to where? The only paperwork in the bubble wrap was a part's list. The employee in fishing did me a favor and swapped reels but when I went to the front checkout, it took over twenty minutes for someone to figure out how to enter the swap - which is no longer done - into the register. I almost walked out with the defective reel but the same employee said he would figure how to put in into the computer.

Someone told me after that experience that Dick's now has the same policy for defective rods, reels or guns and the time period for a swap is only 30 days. Wonder if other retailers of fishing tackle have the same policy? Not happy if I have to pay for shipping for repairs under a warranty!

snake River is offline Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Try Walmart you won't have any problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snake River View Post
    Try Walmart you won't have any problem.
    You're right. I just wish they had more of a selection in my neck of the woods.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I ran into that on a charger with BPS a couple of years ago. Had it just over 30 days and they started telling me I had to send it in. Not a happy camper and the manager swapped it out but that is their policy on lots of stuff now.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

1. Better reels have better warranties.

2. The better the reel, the less you need a warranty.
    Likes crappielimits LIKED above post

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exchanged a rod at Cabelas yesterday missing the rod guide insert with no issues. Walked in showed them the rod and receipt went and got the replacement which is $20 more than when purchased in December. It rang up the 20 difference and the lady did an even exchange. I walked out.

The reason I ALWAYS walk back in!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    1. Better reels have better warranties.

2. The better the reel, the less you need a warranty.
    Very true.

I recently had a problem with a BnM rod and they stood behind their product and shipped out a replacement section. Better companies means better warranties for sure. Im a BnM customer for life now.

Post Thanks / Like

Wish I had a Cabelas near me.
    Likes crappielimits LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The cost of a rod warranty is built into the purchase price. Usually for a lifetime warranty, one pays 3x the cost of the same rod with 30 day warranty. Manufactures use warranty as an advertisement, however most are getting away from lifetime, too many rod abusers that don't understand that rods don't need to bounce in boats and enjoy getting wacked by ceiling fans etc.

Post Thanks / Like

too many rod abusers that don't understand that rods don't need to bounce in boats and enjoy getting wacked by ceiling fans etc.
    ...how about truck doors?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast