Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rod Handle Wrap

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod Handle Wrap

I've sold my old set of rods and plan on ordering a new set of SCR 16'ers soon. I usually push double minnow rigs and secure the rigs with the top hook on the first guide and the bottom hook poked in the handle. I like doing em that way and never having any tangles, but I don't like tearing up the foam on new rods. Anybody use something like baseball bat wrap on their handles to have a way to keep the rods in good shape?

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you just use the hook keeper tied on the rod? I use tennis racquet tape on mine it works pretty good. The bat wrap should also. I stop off both ends with a couple of tight wraps of electrical tape.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I put a rubber band wrapped a couple time on the foam handle that I secure the bottom hook with,you can move it wherever you need it.works good for me and saves your foam from getting all tore up.

Post Thanks / Like

I use baseball bat tape to protect the handle plus they make a slide on rubber ring with a loop for hooks. works well if rods don't have a built in hook keeper.

Post Thanks / Like

The distance from a guide to the hook keeper is not right to get a double minnow rig to stretch tight. If you stretch the rig itself tight then roll your pole 5 or 6 times i can put 8 rods in a big pile and pull em back apart without ever having a tangle. It keeps all the line tight and against the rod and makes it about like messing with rods that have no line on em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

BIG RIVER MARINE SHOWED ME HOW TO DO THIS WITHOUT HOOKING INTO FOAM . MAYBE HE WILL CHIME IN .

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I take my top hook in my left hand, main line in right hand, let weight hanging from top hook pull line tight wrap main line 3-4 times around top hook, hook bottom hook in hook keeper, reel up slack then wrap line just like you do with same result. Whole lot simpler for me and no messed up handles.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes Eagle 1 LIKED above post

jigfisherx is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General, MO Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod Handle Wrap

I hook the bottom hook in the keeper. Then I leave a little play in the main line which l attach the top hook to above the next guide. This doubles the line to take up the excess and I can use the reel to take out the slack. If I need to I go above the next guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    God bless Charlie Brewer and Bobby Garland.

Post Thanks / Like

I store mine as you do, very easy to get rods separated. I like the rubber band idea, might have to give that one a try. Careful on the bat tapes and racquet tapes as most have fibers in them and could aggravate ya trying to get hooks out. I do hate tearing up the handles as well.

Post Thanks / Like

rubber bands rot pretty quickly.
    Retired golf addict

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast