Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time

Post Thanks / Like

Default First time

Well after getting some equipment for me and my boys we finally got to do a little fishing. Boys have been begging me everyday after work to go, but its been in the upper 90s with heat indexes in the 105-110 range.Told them we'd go when it cooled off.Should of been more specific. Today it was 85,so according to a 10 and 6 year old its technically cooled off. Headed to our pond around 7:00pm not expecting much action but would be good time to try out new rigs. Boys ended up with a couple bluegill and I ended up landing 2 blacks that were the size of decent bluegill. Landed a channel cat that weighed about a pound or so and he was fun to fight. Must of done something right because how I had the drag set worked out perfectly fighting the small channel. Caught all 3 on a 1/32 oz green/black beetle spin.Not much of a story for excitement or big fish wise but it was sure fun to get out and try out some new stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

to Crappie.com from South Central Mississippi. Wow! Good fishing report. Getting to go fishing is great, catching is just a plus. Enjoy every day you can with your children as they will grow up fast. They will be taking dad fish before long.
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes Tony the Tiger, skeetbum, "D" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go. Good job.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

.... I remember making similar "technical" calls, back when I was young !!

Hey, don't sweat the "smallness" of the catch. When I was their age, a Bluegill the size of an adult's hand was a "whopper", to me (if I caught it).

This is a good start for you and the boys .... luck2ya in future fishing endeavors !!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the post Jakesdad and welcome! Sounds like a fun outing, and kids don't mind the heat near as much as us adults..lol. I'm wondering if its youthful resilience or is that as adults we just got a lot more surface area to heat up or at least I do

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the best crappie site there is. And congrats for a successful first time out!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Any time you get to see young kids catching fish is exciting. I love the squeals and shouts and fast excitement in their eyes.
    Welcome from East Central Arkansas. You done good.
    Tell'em I'll be there.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you guys usually tie your jigs straight to the line or use something else? I bought some of the eagle claw duo-lock #2 and used them last night. seemed easier than cutting line and retying a knot every time I wanted to switch jigs/lures(especially when i'm just learning this new endeavor). Just wondering what was recommended or more right than wrong.Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

If you change out bait a lot I think the duo locks are going to save you a lot of time to use fishing. The more time spent with your hook and bait in the water is the most important part of fishing.
    Last edited by scrat; 07-26-2016 at 12:03 PM.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Lot of good info on CDC
    Every day is a holiday and every meal is a picnic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast